Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking putting my body shell on a rotisserie is the best way to get the bottom the way I want it. My concern is that one quarter wasn't replaced well years ago and is shot, the other one is fair, both outer rocker panels are shot but the inners are good, the floors and trunk pan are surprisingly good. My concern is that the body shell won't hold up when mounted. Appreciate any input you have. Thanks

·
Registered
928 Posts
I am thinking putting my body shell on a rotisserie is the best way to get the bottom the way I want it. My concern is that one quarter wasn't replaced well years ago and is shot, the other one is fair, both outer rocker panels are shot but the inners are good, the floors and trunk pan are surprisingly good. My concern is that the body shell won't hold up when mounted. Appreciate any input you have. Thanks
you need to brace it, I would x brace both door openings and then cross x brace to each side, 1 inch sure tubing is what i use.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Not a expert by any means but when I was mini tubbing and doing the suspension on my 65 it was on a rotisserie. I also had the trunk pan cut out because it needed replacing and it made it easier to work on with it out. When I had to get in the car I would block it up to be fairly solid so it couldn't flex. I made some of the 2x4 stands to put under the frame on both sides. If I was going to do rockers I would also X brace the inside. I would also try to keep as much intact as I could while doing the sheetmetal. If you are going to connect the subframe you could also do that before doing the rockers or cutting the quarter off.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Rotisseri Concerna

Im no expert either but the rockers are the strength of those cars, they act as somewhat of a frame. I built a 1" square tube box that supported the car at the front sub frame mounts and the rear end of the rockers. I drilled a 7/8" hole through the outside of my rocker in order to pinch the rocker where it is double thick. I cut the entire back half of the floor and wheel tubs out without any problem but as you can see from my photos I had the body X braced in several directions. Grabbing the body from the rear bumper end on a rotisserie is a bad idea in my opinion especially if you are planning on cutting out the floor. I was able to turn my car on any side with the help of a couple buddies, I also put wheels on it so I could move it around. It worked GREAT!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are a few more photos of my rotisserie, it bolts together. I am interested in selling this for my cost of the materials. You can contact me if interested.
I think I would feel a lot better with this set up rather than hanging it from the front and back. I will message you, thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts