Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I just recently noticed that a large section of my roof has rusted through and needs to be covered or replaced. My question to you guys is what is the cheapest and/or easiest way to fix this? A friend of my suggested cutting the roof off another nova and welding it on. What do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
slcpunk73nova said:
Ok I just recently noticed that a large section of my roof has rusted through and needs to be covered or replaced. My question to you guys is what is the cheapest and/or easiest way to fix this? A friend of my suggested cutting the roof off another nova and welding it on. What do you guys think?
Hands down, this is the best Idea. When you remove a roof the cuts are made at the original attachment points (inside the door piller upper and windshield/back glass area) also there is little on the sail area and a pillar.

That would definately be my choice.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok now as far as cutting a roof off of another Nova, do I need to find the exact year (73) or do I have a range of years where the roof is the same?

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,056 Posts
Hi slcpunk73nova,

I agree with Tom. Swapping the complete roof with cuts/welds made at the original attachment points would definitely be the best solution.

The only suitable years of donor cars are 1973 & 1974. Even then, there is a slight difference in the inner roof structure ... 74's have recessed mounting areas for the shoulder belt retractors.

You will also want to seek out a donor car that's the same body style as your 73 (2-door, hatchback, or 4-door). If absolutely necessary as a last resort, you could probably modify a 2-door roof to work on a hatchback or vice versa.

·
6,557 Posts
I would find another roof and then strip off the skin off of the donor car and also save the inner roof structure for a little while. If you have the means, have the skin dipped to remove whatever rust may be on it to where you know what you are working with. If it is better than what you have and solid then remove your old roof skin. Once it is off you may find some inner roof structure rotted out and if so hopefully the roof off the donor car will have sections on it you can use.
Once you get the new skin in place but not fully welded on, double check the fit of the glass AND the trim moldings. If they fit continue on and check these things every once in a while to make sure you are still good to go ahead.
If it was something I was doing I would get as much of the roof and pillars as possible. Cut the front pillars down low by the dash and in the rear at the bottom of the side glass wrapping around to the trunk opening in a close to horizontal cut.
I know on the 74 Nova's there is less internal roof bracing compared to the 73but I'm unsure as to any differences between a coupe or hatchback as far as the outside skin. You may want to find someone with a collision manual to see what roof skins carry the same part number. I would also tend to think you can expand your search to include the same year Omega, Ventura, Apollo, and possibly 74 GTO.
Jim

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JJ66-Dad said:
Since everyting else was just fine except a few areas (rusted through) I just did some patches on my 66 Chevelle SS...

Can you give me a guess on how much sheet metal costs? And how thick I would want it for my roof?

·
Registered
388 Posts
Went to the local ACE Hardware and picked up some weldable sheetmetal. The gauge may not be exact but it was close, the roof replacement piece we used was 22ga. It was $6.99 for a 12"x24" piece, or something like that.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok thanks. I might have gotten lucky on my roof problem. I friend of mine said he saw a nova for sale, body is in perfect condition as well as the interior just no engine or tranny for $500. I'm going to check it out this week and hopefully it will be just what I'm looking for.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts