Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 2156 Posts

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Welcome to my build thread. This site is a great bunch of welcoming and knowledgeable folks whose brains I'm gonna pick from time to time. In any event...the back story:

I picked up this 1973 Nova finally after trying to get it for 10+ years. My uncle owns the Auto Shop that my Dad started in the 70's, and took this car in for a tranny rebuild in '91. After the owner didn't pay, instead of lien selling it, scrapping it, or going after the owner, he parked it out back in his field hoping that the owner would show up and pay. A little over a decade ago, after watching this car rot since '91, I started pestering my Uncle to let me do something with it. He kept blowing me off with the "Someday." response. Well his health is failing, and Someday turned into Oct 2013. :)

My family thinks I'm nuts, but I had to save her. Never been so happy to own a baby poop yellow car in my life.

Here's some pics of how she sat when I found her.

Goals:

I'll be doing all the fab, paint, engine, interior myself. Plans are to make it "my way". It'll have an aluminum LS derivative with T56 or TKO500, whatever I can afford when I get there. I'm fine with the AL 5.3, my goal is 400HP and MPG in the low 20's on the highway. I have the better of the 10 bolts, so I'll build that. TH350 is already sold, 307 needs to go away too (anyone interested?). I'm gonna stick with the stock front subframe, but will likely run a complement of DSE's front goodies that go onto it. I also plan on running a steering box, but one of the upgraded better feel, quicker ratio new ones. Rear end I'd love to do a 4 link, but we'll see how money materializes. Interior will likely be minimalist but tasteful, with 4 buckets, a cage, aluminum door panels, a fabbed dash gauge insert. I plan on building my own bumpers or having them built, and possibly the grille too. The side molding will get shaved. Still up in the air on color. Plan is to run 275's rear 245's front on 17" wheels.

EDIT:

In chronological order.

TABLE OF CONTENTS:
Subframe Connectors
LS/T56 initial mockup
Building a new tunnel and abrasive blasting
Hooker LS swap mounts
Rotisserie Build start and LS teardown
Finished Rotisserie
Car mounted on rotisserie
Front end suspension--Speedtech Road Assault
Front LS brakes
Windshield channel Repair
Rear Suspension-Speedtech Torque Arm
Seam Sealer
Back on the Ground
Rear Bumper part 1
Rear Bumper Part 2
Rear Roll Pan
Drip Rail Shave
Roll Cage part 1
Roll Cage part 2
Front Bumper
Front Valence part 1
Front Valence part 2
Front Valence part 3
Front Grill and Steering Wheel
LS Engine build ---4.8L LR4
Mounting the column and Fab'ing a dash
Dash Part 2
Rear End Rebuild
Rear End Part 2
Brake Lines and pedals
T56 rebuild
Drivetrain Installation
Preluber for LS motor and Pruning the wiring harness part 1
Wire harness Part2 and Headers Part 1
Headers part 2
Headers part 3
Radiator and Taurus fan
Air intake and upper radiator mount
Intake complete
Air box lid and coolant tank
Fuse Box
Body work Part 1
Body work Part 2
Body work Part 3
Body work Part 4
Custom Side Marker Lenses
Body work Part 5
Body work Part 6
Body Work Part 7
Body Work Part 8
Body Work Part 9
Body Work Part 10
The Paint Color Plan
Body work Part 11
Building a Paint Booth
The Start of Paint
Jams, Hood and trunk
Paint day
Bumper and trim paint
Tail Light Mod
Tail light gaskets
Final Assembly Begins
Front end assembly part 1 and custom shifter
Headlight Bezel and License Plate light Refurb
Custom Headlight retaining rings
Front End Assembled and custom headlight bezels
She's home and new shoes
Starting the interior
Fuel tank and interior
Sill Plate rehab
Exhaust Part 1
Exhaust Part 2
Exhaust Part 3
Driveshaft
Parking Brake
Parking Brake part 2
Skid Plate
Fuel tank Part 2
Fuel Tank Part 3
DIY Alignment
Catch Can
Catch Can part 2 and fuel injectors
Condenser and air drier
Holley front accessories
Prelubing/priming the oil system, fluids and brackets
Custom Power Steering reservoir 1
Custom Power Steering Reservoir 2
Custom Power Steering Reservoir 3
Power steering schematic
Finishing Coolant Overflow
Throttle cable fab and intake finishing
Front accessories done and serpentine belt
Setting pedal height
Wiring Part 1
Wiring Part 2 and Battery hold down
New Seats
Wiring Part 3 and new seat install
Front Blinkers
Front blinkers part 2
Underhood fuse box
Wiring Part 4
Wiring Part 5
Wiring Part 6
Wiring Part 7
Wiring Part 8
Wiring part 9
Start Attempt 1
ITS ALIVE!
FIRST TRIP AROUND THE BLOCK
INTERIOR PART 1--DASH PAD
INTERIOR PART 2--PACKAGE TRAY
INTERIOR PART 3
INTERIOR PART 4--COVERING GAUGE BEZEL AND PACKAGE TRAY
SEAT BELTS AND DEAD PEDAL
TRUNK TIME
TRUNK PART 2
TRUNK PART 3
HOOD INSULATION AND DOOR PANELS
DOOR PANEL 2
DOOR PANEL 3
DOOR PANEL 4
DOOR PANEL 5
DOOR PANEL 6
DOOR PANEL 7
DOOR PANEL 8 AND HEADLINER
DOOR PANEL 9
FRONT HEADLINER MOLDING
SAIL PANELS AND POLISHING GLASS
WINDSHIELDS IN
REAR STUD REPLACEMENT AND ROAD TEST
CARPET TIME
CARPET 2
Building Headliner Molding
Building Headliner Molding 2
Building Rear Window Channels
Rear Window Channels Done and Windows Installed
Power Door Locks
Front Door Loom and runnin wires
Front Window Installation
Keyless Entry
CUT and BUFF
DYNO DAY
Building a Back Seat from scratch
Back Seat Part 2
Back Seat part 3
Back Seat Part 4
Back Seat Part 5
Back Seat Part 6--sewing
Back Seat Part 7
Back Seat Finished

Attachments

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then started the floor boards. After reading some Awesome threads on here, I bought the floor pans from carsinc and the toe boards from another place and saved a boat load of cash. I left the trans tunnel in place because it was good from the FW all the way to under the rear seat. Pretty tedious, but I used a combination of a plasma cutter, air chisel and cut off wheel to cut the cancer out. Then of course several 4" angle grinders with different wheels on them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought a bead roller, benchtop english wheel and shrinker stretcher to help with the build. So I had to dedicate a day to building stands. Enter some old plowing discs and a piece of SCH 80 pipe.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Now onto firewall repair. The heater core had leaked which caused all the rot. Since im goin Vintage Air, I built a block off panel to help take care of some of the rot. I have to replace the factory "crinkle" because there is rot there too, then I will weld everything in and make it seamless.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
New panel fabbed up and goin in. In this pic the panel wasn't "finished" I made it look semi pretty before welding it in. The offset dies on the bead roller work awesome for this kind of work.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
So on my way back from SEMA with a car load of Nova parts for me and Camaro parts for my buddy, I get T-boned in my WRX in Pasadena. Girl on her cell phone not paying attention......lame. Lot of Insurance BS and a month later I got a new DD, a 2014 Fiesta ST.

After reading on here and drooling over rotisseries, then almost losing an eardrum from laying on my back and having weld spatter go in my ear, I decided to buy one. Called up Summit on Black Friday at 9:30pm PST to order the Auto Twirler/summit one for $899 + shipping.....dude on the other line says "Sorry Sale ended, we go by EST." :rolleyes: So I hung up on principle, and trolled the forii some more and stumbled across "BoneCrushers Camaro" rotisserie utilizing two engine hoists. So I bought two and am gonna set about building a Rot to finish up the bottom.

FTR two engine stands will fit in a Fiesta ST.

So that pretty much brings us up to today. I started working on it in Oct 2013 and made it this far by Dec.

Next steps are to finish the firewall, get my SF connectors in, move onto the trunk, then build the rotisserie, then finish the bottom, then repair the windshield channel, then start on body work. Its gonna take me a few years.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 2156 Posts