Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone provide with steps on how to roll the 1/4 lips in my garage? Mayb pics? Just put on new 1/4's and the lip needs to be rolled for the 275's. Also would it be better to roll the lip or cut the lip off where it would rub with the tire? Thanks

Sean

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I definitely wouldnt cut it off. Ive heard of several ways to roll it, although I havent tried any of them. Ive heard many people say they used a baseball bat (aluminum, I would imagine) to wedge between the tire and the lip while a 2nd person eased the car back and forth slowly (why do Arkansas and Kentucky come to mind? :D )

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
theres only two correct ways to roll the lip as far as i'm concered....one is with a hammer and dolley...the other is with the tool dedicated for the job, eastwood sells it. cutting the lip would break the connection between the wheelhouse and the quarter and youd have a quarter flapin around....do it right

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
I'm too much of a purist to advocate damaging the quarter panel like that. That little bit of extra tire width isn't going to make that much of a difference in anything.

Many people before you have stuffed some meaty tires in a stock wheel well just by working with the right backspacing and rim. I don't think rolling the lip up is worth it. Just my opinion, and it's worth every bit of what was paid for it......... ;)

Allen

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Mine were cut and beat I mean rolled&when I hammered & dollied them back the inner 1/4 was rusted from collecting stuff over the years outer was still good.It kinda sucks cause I don't want to replace the 1/4's just for that reason but wish they were rolled rather then cut.From what I've heard they pry with baseball bat and jackup other side of the rear end untill the bat fit and gentley start prying bat downward to roll lip upwards.Then hold 1/4 with one hand and hammer from inside to tuck the rest of the lip up with wheel removed.Patients is the key.I wouldn't do it unless I was racing the car,but that's my opinion.Good luck if you do hope that helps.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,057 Posts
Nova73Hatchback said:
Just put on new 1/4's and the lip needs to be rolled for the 275's. Also would it be better to roll the lip or cut the lip off where it would rub with the tire?
Hi Sean,

How wide are the lips on the new quarters? Are they significantly wider than the lips on the underlying wheelhouses?

The reason I ask is because I had some new GM outer wheelhouses and some replacement quarter panel skins installed on my 74 about 10 years ago. The new quarters caused rubbing problems even with relatively narrow 215/70R14's on the stock wheels. I noticed that the lips on the replacement quarter panels were extra wide (about twice as wide as the originals were). So I carefully trimmed them back until they were even with the lips on the wheelhouses and applied some touch-up paint to keep the cut edge from rusting.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ray, thanks for the info. I was just going to post that question to see if i could do that. Before we put the new 1/4's on, we already took a hammer to the wheel housing but left plenty to still weld to. So i wonder if i could just trim the 1/4 lip thats closest to the tire so that there is plenty of room but yet still have plenty of the lip to still weld to the wheel housing? Thanks

Sean

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,057 Posts
Nova73Hatchback said:
So i wonder if i could just trim the 1/4 lip thats closest to the tire so that there is plenty of room but yet still have plenty of the lip to still weld to the wheel housing?
Hi Sean,

Yes, as long as you leave enough of the lip to still be able to weld the quarters to the wheelhouses you should be all set. That's basically what I did with the replacement quarter panels on my car ... except I did the trimming after they were welded on. The quarter panels I got had a lip that was nearly 1-1/2" wide. I trimmed them down to somewhere around 3/4" to 1" wide. The excess that I trimmed off was all hanging in beyond the lip of the wheelhouses and in beyond the welds holding them together. So I didn't see any harm in removing it.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, ill check it out 2morrow and see how much of a lip i have. The top portion of my wheel well is already hammered up so i wouldnt be able to weld to that. But i still got the side portions to weld to. Would this be okay?

Sean

1 - 14 of 14 Posts