Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a hydraulic roller in my Dad's Denali (1999 Model 350), every 3rd time or so when he drives it one lifter ticks. My question is, will just the lifter be bad or can I expect the cam to be done as, well?

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
You sure it's a lifter? There's an issue on piston slap on these.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure it's a lifter, I checked it with a stethoscope in the winter and it was louder on the exhaust side. It wasn't very deep sounding, I could be wrong though. Is there a way to check the piston without opening the engine up?

What has me scratching my head is the way it comes and goes.:confused: Maybe the next time I have it ticking I'll lift the valve cover off, and look for a rocker not in full motion.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh ya, it's not the LS engine it's the older 350 with a distributor, not sure why it got this engine, possibly and early model.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
My 5.3L Suburban rattles like a deisel when cold--same thing my 94 Astro did. GM had a bulletin on the Astro about using a particular oil & filter combo. I just take it real easy for the first few miles--It has 152,000+ now, and last week it got almost 15 mpg (14.87) towing the Dart to Famoso!

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, with some more investigating, I've now found it's using coolant and the oil pressure gauge drops off to 0 at idle when you can hear the ticking lifter. The ticking lifter still comes and goes hot or cold. The oil pressure goes up and down on it's own at idle and does respond with the throttle, it seems normal when driving. I'm assuming the engine is done with the coolant being lost somewhere, but I could not find any coolant after draining the oil, nor does it leave puddles (no noticeable smell or smoke from the tail pipe). I will see how quick it uses up coolant. It also sounds like it has a miss at the exhaust.

·
Registered
328 Posts
The intake gaskets are notorious for leaking on these engines. That plastic intake after time would move and loose seal. You need have the intake gaskets changed and that will solve the coolant leak.

I would have the sending unit checked and gauge to be sure you are getting an accurate pressure reading down low.

Lifter problem may be some carbon or dirt that gets stuck. Put some very light oil 0-10 or 0-15W in the engine and let it run for about 20 minutes in the driveway. Drop the oil and put what you usually run in the engine. "Flushing" the oiling system with light weight oil has worked for a few friends of mine.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
You sure it's a lifter? There's an issue on piston slap on these.
The piston slap stuff accusations were not associated with the 5.7 Gen2 engines.

GM SUV's did not use the Gen3 engine in 1999
The install of gen3 in SUV's started in 2002

Al

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
The engine does have adjustable rocker arms and this could correct the problem, could be a worn rocker arm & push-rod.

Al

1 - 9 of 9 Posts