Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Roller cam suggestion

My 1989 sbc 350 did not have the roller set up. I was able to pick up a stock set from Pick N Pull (lifters, guide plate, rods) minus the cam because it had a lot of wear to them. Everything else that I picked up was fine. What size cam should I purchase? Should I stick to stock specs to using the stock lifters and rods or can I upgrade to something bigger than stock size? I was looking into the Comp Cam Muther Thumper sets and they seem to be pretty reasonably priced.

By the way...Nova is for daily use. Motor has vortec heads w/ flat head pistons.

Thanks,

·
Registered
190 Posts
Is this carbed or a 87-95 TBI Setup?

·
Registered
532 Posts
The vortec heads will limit you to a .480 lift without having machine work done to them. Either way change your valve springs to match your cam. For a daily driver I would look for something with a 106 lobe sep.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My 1989 sbc 350 did not have the roller set up. I was able to pick up a stock set from Pick N Pull (lifters, guide plate, rods) minus the cam because it had a lot of wear to them. Everything else that I picked up was fine. What size cam should I purchase? Should I stick to stock specs to using the stock lifters and rods or can I upgrade to something bigger than stock size? I was looking into the Comp Cam Muther Thumper sets and they seem to be pretty reasonably priced.

By the way...Nova is for daily use. Motor has vortec heads w/ flat head pistons.

Thanks,
The CompCams Motha Thumper is more designed for sound (lopy) rather than performance. Buy something like Lunati Voodoo, CompCams High Energy, etc.

·
Registered
598 Posts
If the cam was no good due to alot of wear, what condition are the lifters in? I've never seen a roller cam wear without help from a bad lifter.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
From my understanding the 88 to 91 Chevy trucks with a 350 weren't roller cams but the blocks were cast to accept em. I have a 88 350 non roller cam but has the castings for a roller

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If the cam was no good due to alot of wear, what condition are the lifters in? I've never seen a roller cam wear without help from a bad lifter.
The lifters are in good condition. The tip that runs against the cam were ok.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts