Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
726 Posts
nova10sec said:
I am sure 11.49 only requires a 4 point bar.
Nova10sec is correct. They changed it from 11.99 because some of the new production cars with min. tweaks could go faster than 11.99.

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Also, per the IHRA rulebook. A 4 or 6 point if you run 11.49 or faster. If you run Hot Rod, 10.90 heads up, a full roll cage if the floor or firewall has been altered or the car runs 135mph. Other than that, a 6-point is allowed with the stock floor and firewall. I put an S&W 8-point in my car over the winter and a rear subframe. Dave

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
I thought the 11.49 was IHRA all years and NHRA for late model cars only. Not so?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Well, that didn't come out quite right--but you know what I mean! Slower than 11.49-No bar. And then there is the issue of a bar like Steve Magnante ran in the lightweight Duster story. It only has the main hoop and 1 down bar.
He was told it was legal by NHRA.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
11.49 needs a roll bar with a minimum of a drivers door diagonal
9.99 or 135 mph needs a cage
10.99 needs a cage if the floor / frame has been modified

Common sense says why not put a cage in any car going way faster than it was designed for ?

·
Banned
726 Posts
A roll bar is required in any convertible running 13.99 seconds or quicker in the quarter mile, and in other cars beginning at 11.49. The roll bar is accepted in vehicles running as quick as 10.00 second e.t., provided the stock firewall and floorboard is intact, other than for installation of wheel tubs. The rollbar must be constructed of minimum 1 ¾ inch o.d. x .118 inch wall mild steel tubing, or 1 ¾ x .083 chrome moly tubing.
If the floor and/or firewall has been modified, then a full roll cage is required beginning at a 10.99 e.t. A full roll cage is required in any vehicle running 9.99 seconds or quicker, and any vehicle running 135 mph or faster (regardless of e.t.). The roll cage must be constructed of minimum 1 5/8 o.d.x .118 mild steel tubing, or 1 5/8 x .083 chrome moly tubing.
The roll cage of any vehicle running 9.99 or quicker, or 135 mph or faster, must also be certified by NHRA every 3 years, and have a serialized sticker affixed prior to participation.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Just out of curiosity, anyone know why the quicker cars can use a smaller diameter tubing?

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Dan_Lebherz said:
Just out of curiosity, anyone know why the quicker cars can use a smaller diameter tubing?
there are a few exceptions, but other than that all bars must be 1-5/8 .083 for chromolly, and 1-5/8 .118 for mild steel (1-3/4 on a roll bar)...for example, for some certifications, only certain bars have to be a certain thickness, and others are not mandatory, so people make them small diameters b/c 1) they can, and 2) its lighter and 3) its stronger.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
The 1 3/4 tubing is used on the cars with 6 point mounts. The 1 5/8 requires more attachment points with 8 mininum.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
They may be able to do a bolt in bar if they don't go too fast. I doubt it will be a big problem since I haven't seen any new vettes racing in any classes that require them to have a cage. Racers must not like the newer vette body styles since nobody seems to be racing any of them.

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts
Actually, it is only the Z06s that have the aluminum frame, if I'm not mistaken.

As far as why no one is racing the new Vettes, heck how many people you know run out and buy a $55,000 car and take it to the track anyway?

I am seeing more and more of the prev gen at the track as they have become more affordable for younger people. There were 2 Z06s (prev gen) a red one and a yellow one at the track last weekend both being driven by kids in their early 20s. One kid said he has run 12.80s on street tires spinning, but I didn't see him do that.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is always good to have the cage certified,Great selling point and if you ever go fast enough to need it certed it sure would suck to pull out an uncertable jungle gym.Ive seen that happen to a few friends -they end up paying twice when they coulda paid once. Doug

1 - 20 of 29 Posts