Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm on my way to look at a 1st gen project car that's just come up for cheap.
apparently it's caged and a "good value" from what's been described to me.
here's my question......

who determines if a rollbar/cage is safe for a given race class? how does this rollcage become certified,or is it even req'd to run 10.00 or slower?

sorry for the dumb questions but drag racing is new to me and i'd like to know what i'm getting into before i pay any money out.
leftcoast carl

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
nhra/ihra tech officials certify a chassis or have people that do.... as far as the 10.0 second rule.... you start getting into the "rollbar" req. at 11.50 range. you definitely need a rollbar from 10.99 to 10.0 (if firewall, floor, interior structure is stock/or factory) if any of that has been modified, then you need a roll cage for slower than 10.0 to 10.99..... how fast is the car supposed to go....

and if I'm wrong on the above I'm sure someone will correct me..:yes: :D

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
If you're going to race at NHRA tracks, it needs to be tagged for 9.99 and quicker. If it's IHRA, then it's faster than 9.00. If you're only going to run 10's, it doesn't need to be tagged. Dave

·
Premium Member
4,612 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You're in Division 6, so I would contact Greg Park - [email protected], or (604) 530-1994, he's in Langley, BC to discuss about the inspection and to have the chassis certified. Good luck.
WOW! great help,thank you!
leftcoast carl.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
if it is not certed check to see how old the cage is and if it can be certed or at least updated to current specs. Some cars are for sale cheap cuz they can't be certed or can't be updated without cutting the whole thing out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts