Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
You don't HAVE to, but why would you bolt expensive parts onto 35¢ studs?
What's the rest of the engine combo? What are you trying to accomplish?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just a small block

I was going to experement with them and c how much more power they get for my 400. But for now i have a 331 with 58cc 2.02/1.6 heads kb pistons and built bottom end. I want to c how much more you could get but i didn't want to pull the heads and take them to the machine shop

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
6-7 hp which will be hard to notice the difference. You will notice the difference when the rocker studs pull out.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
yes it can be done but you'll always wonder when the studs are gonna break or pull out. I made a switch from stock rockers to some cam dynamics roller rockers and I noticed a big difference on how the engine revved and picked up a tenth and 2mph. Allegedly it was worth 25hp but honestly I doubt it. Granted too my heads had screw in studs and guide plates.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
yes it can be done but you'll always wonder when the studs are gonna break or pull out. I made a switch from stock rockers to some cam dynamics roller rockers and I noticed a big difference on how the engine revved and picked up a tenth and 2mph. Allegedly it was worth 25hp but honestly I doubt it. Granted too my heads had screw in studs and guide plates.
If you read the advertising it says "up to 25hp" and some ads are using a comparison between stock 1.5 and roller 1.6 ratios that have more lift. Actual results are going to depend on what your configuration is (like mild or wild camshaft) and how much having a roller rocker benefits. A rocker is only as good as the foundation and the press in studs are very weak.

Put the $150-$300 you would have spent on roller rockers in the bank and save up for some good heads. You can add the rollers later.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
If you read the advertising it says "up to 25hp" and some ads are using a comparison between stock 1.5 and roller 1.6 ratios that have more lift. Actual results are going to depend on what your configuration is (like mild or wild camshaft) and how much having a roller rocker benefits. A rocker is only as good as the foundation and the press in studs are very weak.

Put the $150-$300 you would have spent on roller rockers in the bank and save up for some good heads. You can add the rollers later.
ok I don't know if you're talking to me directly but I don't believe anything I read from some ad till I see it for myself, whether it be at the track or on the dyno. Like I said allegedly gains are up to 25 hp...just sayin. In my case I saw a benefit, since I needed to be more clear for you my engine was not stock, a 355 LT-1 with 11 to 1 comp, Dema Elgin solid lifter cam, 470" with 1.5 rockers, [email protected]" on a 105 LSA.

Yes in the case of a stock engine going from stock stamp steel rockers to full roller rockers the question was raised can he do it without screw in studs. Answer: Yes. Now will he see any benefit? only he will be able to tell us. Is it a smart idea? No. Odds are probably nothing noticeable but ya never know right? don't some stock rockers come in less than a 1.5 ratio? I would think removing the friction from the rockers would make it smoother no? Just my .02....:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts