Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought some rocker moldings for my 64 and it came with some plastic clips for the molding to clip onto at the top edge. When I got the car it didnt have any moldings on it, but the trim holes were there. Is there suppose to be a clip on the lower front fender? There werent any previous holes in the fender bottoms but it looks like it could use some because the trim doesnt sit real tight against the car/fender in the front.
Thanks- Roy

·
Premium Member
854 Posts
The original mouldings are retained by 2 or 3 metal strips about 3/4" wide by about 18" long. They do extend out onto the fender.
Someone her probably has a picture they can post. I have a couple of sets, but you may want to post an ad in the parts wanted section.
The plastic clips work, but won't hold as tight as the metal strips.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
The fender does need a hole for the attachment. It actually is supposed to be a bent sheet metal bar that the rocker trim latches onto and is secured by the screws on the bottom of the rocker panel. Two bars about two feet long per side. The hole in the fender mounts one end of the bar and two holes on the rocker mount the other end of the bar.The rocker moulding lays on the bars and when the screws are put in they hold the moulding tight. Should be five holes on the rocker panel and one on the fender.

Cheetos

·
Registered
800 Posts
Not to hijack, but why does Chevy II Only sell clips for that moulding, w/out the rails? Bought it from them this summer, have yet to use to check on my '63, though; didn't know about the rail piece. Thanks for sharing.

Rusty

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the replies, I guess I'll be drilling one more hole in the fender for the clip. It just made me nervous to drill into the fender bottom, afraid to invite rust, since all old cars seem to want to rust there due to poor drainage. Thanks again, and thanks Tony for the pics of the original type trim holders.

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
Rocker Molding clips?

Hey Now, when you drill the new holes, be sure to take a "Q" tip and put a dab of paint or rust inhibitor on the new hole... It will stop the rust from having a place to start. Then a dab of Gum-Dum on the threads of the mounting screw... Respectfully, "Bill's II

1 - 9 of 9 Posts