Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi:
I am close to installing the rocker moldings on my 76 Concours. I dont have the slightest clue as to what clips or retainers are used. :confused:

Are the clips plastic, metal? What do they look like? Approximate placement? How many?

The main rocker molding is almost 3 inches wide at the outside and has internal clearance of 2 1/2 inches. It screws at the bottom on the edge of the rocker panel with chrome screws, but the top has to hang on some type of clip.

It looks the same and has the same width as the 70-80 Camaro molding, but the Camaro uses an internal reinforcemnt brace and 5 metal clips. And I believe the Nova has no internal brace.

I understand the rocker panel should be studded for the clips. The studs can be replaced by screws I suppose? Where should they be placed?

The smaller portions of the molding (behind rear wheel and in front of front wheel) are different widths and I suppose they use specific clips... they are narrower than the central piece.

I want to do this as original as possible. Anyone with memories, pics, ideas...?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That would be totally fantastic... If you could post a pic and tell me what you remember of their placement I would be in debt forever...

·
Registered
59 Posts
got mine from Luttys Chevy Warehouse part #0290 $1.25 ea with screw they are actually for 66-72 Nova's and are metal just like in posted picture

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Ok, so let me understand... these clips are not three inches long, which means they are good for all the moldings of different widths...

So the flat part is the top of the clip? And thats where the moldings hang?

Do you have any recall of how far they were from each other, 6 inches, 12 maybe? I may need 3 dozens...

OK, more, these seem to replace GM part 3886638, and ebay has them for 66-74. And Im thinking the curved part goes on top and sort of pulls out to let the metal lip go under... am I correct

·
Registered
80 Posts
clips

if i am right you are looking for the plastic clips that hold the rocker chrome piece s . the metal screws and clips in the picture are for the fenders ( i could be wrong ) . the plastic one i mentioned look like a fat z shaped thing with a hole in the middle , that slides over a pin . the smaller chrome pieces over the wheel looks like a christmas tree up side down and gets pushed into a hole in the fender .i have found these both at a body shop while working on other cars . just bring the chrome to the body shop so they can sell you the right ones .
good luck

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if i am right you are looking for the plastic clips that hold the rocker chrome piece s . the metal screws and clips in the picture are for the fenders ( i could be wrong ) . the plastic one i mentioned look like a fat z shaped thing with a hole in the middle , that slides over a pin . the smaller chrome pieces over the wheel looks like a christmas tree up side down and gets pushed into a hole in the fender .i have found these both at a body shop while working on other cars . just bring the chrome to the body shop so they can sell you the right ones .
good luck
So the middle body uses z shaped clips sliding over stud pins. I didnt understand the others... so the metal pieces are for the front and rear rocker moldings? Over the wheel you only get he wheelwell moldings that are screwed on. What about the xmas tree clips?

Please give me as much detail as possible, Its not clear to me...

·
Registered
80 Posts
clips

the clips i call christmas tree clips look like a christmass tree . the base is what hooks into the chrome , and the tree part pushes into a hole in the sheet metal . if you go to a body shop they will show you the clips then you will say oh a christmas tree .. the other clips are either plastic or metal . they slide over a pin and lock in place and the chrome is on top of the clips .....
picture is worth a thousand words
i do not have a camera
:(

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input you all! It appears we have 2 types of fixation systems for the same moldings. I had heard of the plastic clip parts but they seem very hard to find, plus they use studs. I purchased a couple dozen of the screw-on metal clips on ebay and will go on those. I believe if they are correctly attached and appear original, I can forego total originality in hidden detail...

Plus I now believe the metal clips were probably used for dealer install vs. plastic&studs from the factory install...

Will post pics on the installation...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts