Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi everyone
my rochester monojet on my 194 is in pretty bad shape and my neighbor just gave me a freshly rebuilt carter yfa for free so i'm planning on doing a swap. the two things that are a little different about the two carbs i'm hoping someone who has done the swap before can say how they id it. so i'm wondering what to do with the throttle linkage there just a little different. and then the rochester had the thermostat inside the exhaust manifold and a rod going to the choke but on the carter the thermostat is on the carb and your suppose to run a pipe from the manifold to an inlet on the carb i've looked for a conversion kit but haven't seen any.
any help would be awesome. pictures if any one has done this would also be great.

·
Super Moderator
4,372 Posts
I have seen a Carter YF run on a Nova 6, but only because I got that engine whole, and didn't see it in the car. The Carter seems more dependable, and has made more than a few slant 6's run well throughout history. Don't have an answer on the linkage, but as far as the choke goes, there are later models of YF with an electric choke, and in fact, these folks sell an electric choke conversion kit:

You could drill the exhaust manifold and run a pipe, but with this kit, why bother?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok that’s probably easier than what I was thinking, thanks AllyMcReal

now for the linkage Here is what’s on the car right now

and here is the new carb
So I was thinking of welding on a small maybe 1-1/2” x 3/4” piece of 14 gauge sheet and then drilling a hole near the end like this

then I would just hook up the old linkage through that hole with this piece of ro

the new carb has the spring incorporated on the carb so that’s not a problem

is there any reason why this won’t work?

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,211 Posts
Two things here .

You would need something "stronger than 14 gauge" for your add - on lever
(small 1/8" strip of metal ) .
Then, maybe "drill two small ( 3/16" ) holes" on to that Carter "arm" . . . .
use two small 'machine screws' .
I think I would install a little "higher" , than your mark . Maybe at the "top # 4 " . . . hard to say ( just
from a picture ) . . . . . . and make the (add - on ) lever longer = you can
always cut it off ……. ( trim it down some) .
Then, you can always cut & make your (round) connecter rod - longer - or - shorter too fit "that lever" .
Hey , I'm just talking here . . . . . . .

By using the machine screws ………. you can remove the lever easier ……….. and "re-position"

jim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Two things here .

You would need something "stronger than 14 gauge" for your add - on lever
(small 1/8" strip of metal ) .
Then, maybe "drill two small ( 3/16" ) holes" on to that Carter "arm" . . . .
use two small 'machine screws' .
I think I would install a little "higher" , than your mark . Maybe at the "top # 4 " . . . hard to say ( just
from a picture ) . . . . . . and make the (add - on ) lever longer = you can
always cut it off ……. ( trim it down some) .
Then, you can always cut & make your (round) connecter rod - longer - or - shorter too fit "that lever" .
Hey , I'm just talking here . . . . . . .

By using the machine screws ………. you can remove the lever easier ……….. and "re-position"

jim
Ok yeah I like those ideas being able to remove and replace would be great
And higher up makes sense too

1 - 5 of 5 Posts