Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rebuilt a rochester single barrel carb. Everything went well until I started to adjust choke flap. I followed the directions that came with the kit I bought but the flap doesn't close far enough. It seems to me that the linkage is too short. Anybody have this problem or know how to fix it?

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,733 Posts
Mine never works right when I adjust it per the instructions. I also find that during the colder times of year (spring and fall) I need to adjust it so its closed more and then in the summer I adjust it so it is open more. Just bend the rod from the manifold to the carb to make it close as much as what works (hows that for being vague? :D )

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah that was vague :D, but it did give me something else to try. I didn't know i could use the rod from manifold to adjust the flap. Thanks for the info!

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,733 Posts
yeah that was vague :D, but it did give me something else to try. I didn't know i could use the rod from manifold to adjust the flap. Thanks for the info!
Bending the rod is how you adjust it. The rod is connected to a coiled piece of metal on the back of the manifold. As the manifold heats up, the coil expands and opens up the butterfly valve.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just went through the extra gaskets from the "universal" kit I got and found different thickness gaskets. Of coarse I put the thickest one on the carb, about 3/16". Luckily the carb is still sitting on the bench so I swapped the thick one out for the thinest one I had. It still isn't within the spec but it is sooooo much bettter. Now when I finally install the carb hopefully I can get it with the rod from the manifold. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts