Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The carb has been rebuilt twice and each time the accelerator pump hangs up (pedal sticks). Of course, it's hard starting as well. It's sitting on top of a 307 and I'm wondering if it would be better to just junk it and throw on something else. Not being a racer, I'm just looking for something that works! Any thoughts of what and where to look? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Find out what is causing the accelerator pump to stick and fix it. I've never seen a pump hang up the throttle-you might have bent linkage or binding pump arm.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First time I rebuilt it the whole pump assembly was apart when I took the top off. Couldn't find any rough edges or anything that would make it do that. After the rebuild with new pump is when the sticking started. Took it to a 'real' mechanic and it worked great for a month then same thing. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Hello,

Accelerator pumps have kind of became a problem in the last few years, atleast for me.

I "think" there may be a reaction with today's fuel and a standard material diaphragm.

I have the best luck with the NAPA "blue" material pumps. I think they are for a harsher type of fuel?

Might be worth a shot?

Good luck

Jeff

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the input. Napa was the last rebuild kit I used. First two were from Checker and Autozone. Any suggestions on different carbs to fit on that 307? Thanks again,

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I'll check them out.

The first time the whole thing came apart; rod, spring, retainer. Don't know how it even started. The next 2 times the rubber turned inside out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again. Great parts find. Only thing I'm not sure of is whether I have a large base or small. No tags or numbers on the thing so it's hard to tell.
Thanks again.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts