Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the difference between a Rochester 1bbl BV carburetor for a manual transmission and a Rochester 1bbl BV carburetor for an automatic transmission for a 1964 6 cylinder 194 ci Nova. I can see no cosmetic difference from looking at the outside as far as connections.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
The only difference is the size of the main jet. The automatic had a couple sizes smaller (leaner) jet. Least that is what my 62 book shows on the 6 cylinder manual vs. auto.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,918 Posts
Mostly the same carb.
some carbs had a few changes , like, My 69 250 carb DID have a high idle a/c solenoid mounted onto the carb. But, it's basic the same.

My 1bbl carb, when I went to the Holley 390 carb.

#1 carb switched to use a manual choke (off a 250 motor).

#2 shows the choke cable hooked up. This is also later carb , and has a throttle cable . A 64 - 194 carb has a throttle rod linkage.

Hope this helps ..... :D

·
6,585 Posts
I don't know where I found the info but on my 68 with the 6 cylinder, there is a difference in just the choke rod setting and the choke vacuum break. You may do some google searches and see what shows up like what I did.

The main metering jets are the same on mine (whether it's an auto or manual transmission) and on the 68 with the 153 motor, the main metering jets are the same between auto and manual but a tad smaller than the optional 230/250 motor.

On my car for some reason I have on there now a 1969 Camaro monojet and it's stamped ID code is for an automatic and it's running decent on my 230 with the manual transmission. I have since found the correct carb for mine and once it get's rebuilt over the winter I'm wondering how much better it may perform than the one that's on there now without knowing any history about it.

Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts