Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well guys since I spend so much time on here searching for pictures and tech info (thank you guys for the knowledge!) and I already did my intro, figured I'd start a thread and chronicle my car's progression. I recently sold my '51 Chevy project that I got burnt out on (bodywork sucks!) in order to help purchase the car. I wanted something I could drive and change/upgrade as I went along, something the wife and I (and kids) could enjoy. Nova's have always been a dream of mine so when the opportunity arose to own one I jumped on it. The car is a '74, factory a/c car with stock 350 and trans. It's definitely got issues and it's not perfect but it's mine and I love it! I'll try and post pics as I make changes or just out for a nice drive. The pics below are from the day I purchased the car.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
2,069 Posts
Looks like you found yourself a nice one to start turning into your car. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So next on the list was a was some much needed maintenance and a couple of upgrades. We replaced all the bushings in the car, added some tubular a-arms that lowered the front 2" and changed the front buckets of the rear springs to bring the car down a little in the rear. And before you ask, no that's not my beautiful garage, LOL! My best friend was nice enough to let me keep my car there for a couple of month's until we finished getting a few things done that are much easier on his lift.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The next work weekend consisted of a front disk brake conversion. My pads and drums were shot so it only made sense considering how cheap the conversion was. I went with the kit from Right Stuff and upgraded to a Corvette master cylinder.

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The following work weekend just happened to be my birthday so I couldnt have picked a better time to bring her home. When I arrived at Doug's house my birthday present from him was a set of headers!!! So it was time to clean up this engine bay. The factory a/c was junk, all the hoses had been cut loose and the coil housing had a huge hole and crak in it. Not to mention the blower was gone! So we removed all that mess along with the inner fender wells which made access to the headers a lot easier. I decided for now to leave them out and I undercoated (3 heavy coats) the underside of the fenders to protect them from rock dings. We also changed the car over to floor shift. I made a little stand out of aluminum to get it up and a little easier to reach

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Well here she is in her new home! My youngest daughter is already claiming the car as hers, LOL!

This is what it’s all about, look at that smile!!!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Last weekend I tackled something that has been driving me crazy. The previous owner and their ****ty job at panel alignment. End results of their efforts was paint stick shims and boogered up hood corners. Anyway, I straightened that out using the proper shims

All better!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Very nice! Course I'm pretty partial to 74's! :cool:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nice looking car.

What size are the wheels and tires front and rear along with the offsets?
Thanks Coupe! Rears are 15x8 245/60 and the fronts are 15x6 215/70. Not sure on the back spacing as they were on the car when I got it. If I get a chance this weekend I'll measure the backspacing. Probably going to downsize the front tires an inch or so in height but I'm waiting until I get the rear where I want it first to decide

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So this weekend I went to pick up a rear end in LA, about a 6 hour drive one way but I scored it super cheap. All new parts upgraded 4 months ago before the gentleman decided to go with a 9”. Has 3.73 posi, CalTracs, Comp Eng shocks and Hotchkins -2” springs. I scored it and some 2” spindles for $600 so I figured it was worth the drive

Spent the night at a buddy’s house in LA and he cooked up some crawfish and crabs for us!! Win Win!!

It was his wife’s birthday so it turned into a little party

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
The previous weekend I went to the swap meet to pick up a new driver front fender because the previous owner had a blow out and mangled the front fender. It already had bondo on it so I just figured I’d get a new one. Of course while I was there the vendor had a 4” cowl and he managed to talk me into it. Still need to test fit the fender before paint but I couldn't resist the urge to mount the hood! I was debating on a 2” vs a 4”, I figured it’s a street car and not a drag car so a 2” is probably better, but I went 4” and I love the way it looks!!! Can’t wait to get the fender test fit (hopefully this coming weekend) and get them both off to paint

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yesterday I got the new 71/2 hood trim and I test fit it. No grille clearance issues at all. The mounting studs on the trim are a little (a lot) longer than they need to be so maybe that’s what is hitting the grille on some cars? Anyway, I’ll trim them back just to be safe when I permanently mount the trim after paint

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well I got the rear end swapped this weekend and the back is now sitting exactly where I want it! I’m going to change the front tires next weekend (shorter) and see where I’m at. Might not even need the dropped spindles if it brings it down enough.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Took her out for a spin and the ride is so much better without the air shocks!!! Not to mention she has a little bit more of an attitude with the new gears. Very happy with this change.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts