Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has a Roadster Shop Chassis under their Nova and what you thought of the quality. I know the floor needs cut out in order to set the body on the frame and rebuild the floor. A lot of work. And yes they are not cheap

·
Premium Member
2,946 Posts
Haven't used them. Don't know anyone who has. It's definitely a high quality, well engineered chassis. If you can afford it, do it!!!

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,332 Posts
Here's a " full frame swap Post - - - asking questions"
and , I Know - - - SNS member " 63SSIISFV2DFW " ( Ben ) has a 63 Nova with a "full Frame Swap" . . .
just not a Roadster Shop Chassis .
Ben's build is very good reading . . . . . & info .

. . . jim

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,167 Posts
This would be my choice.....

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I was wondering if anyone has a Roadster Shop Chassis under their Nova and what you thought of the quality. I know the floor needs cut out in order to set the body on the frame and rebuild the floor. A lot of work. And yes they are not cheap
The following build covers a Roadster Shop chassis going into a 65 hardtop. It’s a really nice piece but you do have to sacrifice the floors and firewall..

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The following build covers a Roadster Shop chassis going into a 65 hardtop. It’s a really nice piece but you do have to sacrifice the floors and firewall..
Now that's a build. Wow what a nice job. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This would be my choice.....
I have not seen those before. They look like a nice chassis. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's a " full frame swap Post - - - asking questions"
and , I Know - - - SNS member " 63SSIISFV2DFW " ( Ben ) has a 63 Nova with a "full Frame Swap" . . .
just not a Roadster Shop Chassis .
Ben's build is very good reading . . . . . & info .

. . . jim
Ill have to read thru that link. Thanks

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
5,332 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went with an Art Morrison instead. Roadster Shop frames fall into the “Overkill” category in my opinion. Morrison requires same amount of work but less overall cost.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I went with an Art Morrison instead. Roadster Shop frames fall into the “Overkill” category in my opinion. Morrison requires same amount of work but less overall cost. View attachment 422002 View attachment 422003 View attachment 422004 View attachment 422005
‘Hey that is very nice chassis. Looks like Morrison bent tubing where Rodster Shop cuts plate and welds it together. All that cutting and labor of course is going to raise the price of the end product. How did you run your brake lines to the rear? Under the chassis?
Nice build. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Art Morrison Chassis seems like overkill to me, too, in a good way. I'll bet it will ride better than any new car you can buy. It looks beautiful.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I think those full chassis are awesome however I'd have to ask myself is putting that kind of money into my Nova rally going to make it handle like my 2019 Vette GS? I can tell you I'm 100% sure its not going to no matter what the chassis people tell you. And when all is said and done you'll probably be into it for the cost of the Vette. Just using the Vette for example but you could insert the Camaro ZL1 as well. I would do some serious thinking on this, an IFS and 4-link with a good sub-frame connection (lets use all CBR racing for comparison) would cost far less and you don't have to be a professional fabricator to do the install. Even if the full chassis were in the ballpark of the other 3 things the amount of cutting/welding/measuring/fabricating other parts of the build are probably out of range of comfort that most people can do. So now youre paying someone huge money to do the job, my guess is that would be in the 15 plus K range. Yea Martin brothers, Bill Carlton and a few of those other guys make it look easy but they have million dollar shops with tables, laser liners ect and it's going to be straighter than Chevy could have ever got it. Most guys on here could install the full CBR (or any of the other Co's stuff) pretty much in their garage by themselves with the exception of maybe having to call in a guy to do some welding but that's not going to break the bank. Just figured I'd play devils advocate on the matter a bit. I went with Martz IFS, CBR 4-link, CBR frame connectors and the car rides and handles excellent, no it's not the Vette but it's pretty darn impressive compared to what it was stock.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Art Morrison Chassis seems like overkill to me, too, in a good way. I'll bet it will ride better than any new car you can buy. It looks beautiful.
Ride and handle better than say a new Vette or even a Camaro? I'd beg to differ greatly on that statement.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think those full chassis are awesome however I'd have to ask myself is putting that kind of money into my Nova rally going to make it handle like my 2019 Vette GS? I can tell you I'm 100% sure its not going to no matter what the chassis people tell you. And when all is said and done you'll probably be into it for the cost of the Vette. Just using the Vette for example but you could insert the Camaro ZL1 as well. I would do some serious thinking on this, an IFS and 4-link with a good sub-frame connection (lets use all CBR racing for comparison) would cost far less and you don't have to be a professional fabricator to do the install. Even if the full chassis were in the ballpark of the other 3 things the amount of cutting/welding/measuring/fabricating other parts of the build are probably out of range of comfort that most people can do. So now youre paying someone huge money to do the job, my guess is that would be in the 15 plus K range. Yea Martin brothers, Bill Carlton and a few of those other guys make it look easy but they have million dollar shops with tables, laser liners ect and it's going to be straighter than Chevy could have ever got it. Most guys on here could install the full CBR (or any of the other Co's stuff) pretty much in their garage by themselves with the exception of maybe having to call in a guy to do some welding but that's not going to break the bank. Just figured I'd play devils advocate on the matter a bit. I went with Martz IFS, CBR 4-link, CBR frame connectors and the car rides and handles excellent, no it's not the Vette but it's pretty darn impressive compared to what it was stock.

Good points. I do not disagree that most guys do not have the equipment and experience to cut a car apart and build a car we are talking about. Swapping out the front half, sub frame connectors, and installing a four link is a good way to go for most.
I come from a racing and manufacturing background. Machining and fab for 33 years. So to tell the truth building the car for me is half the fun. I have built several race cars both drag and circle track. I am planning on making some things for my car no one else has. A lot of custom machined parts by my design. Looking forward to it but like everyone else it a money and time thing. Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Afternoon all,
I have been looking at the extent that some have traveled to a have their goal of one off best in class top of the hill....
with all that said how many times a week does that car show up at work or the cheese cake factory or even just parked along Main Street USA on Cruze nite? I have been building the more door here with all of you over the last couple of years and my end goal is simple ware the tires out on by being at the above mentioned locations. Now when I started this build I looked at RS , Chris Alton , and Art Morrison, I made a call to art mostly cause I was interested in the back half and this sals person asks what condition is the car in ? Are the floors solid ? Why would you cut out good floors ,
that day art may have lost some money in sales but gained a future customer.

·
Registered
22 Posts

I went with an Art Morrison instead. Roadster Shop frames fall into the “Overkill” category in my opinion. Morrison requires same amount of work but less overall cost. View attachment 422002 View attachment 422003 View attachment 422004 View attachment 422005
I’m calling this my retirement car. No expense
spared for what I want this time. Not a purest, 1967 Chevelle Convertible is mostly original (except for the wheels and exhaust) so I have that for a cruiser. But for my Nova ⚽🏀🏈⚾🥎🎾🏐🏉’s to the wall!!! Yes, it’s an 2008 Viper engine (678hp) backed by a TCI 6X and a Ford 9”, with Custom Schott’s Wheels.

·
Registered
3,724 Posts
I’ve been on this “full frame”quest for a handful of years and have been down a couple of roads to make this work. What I have come up with leaves my factory floors intact. There are a couple of locations that will require come clearance but nothing major. This wasn’t my original goal but rather what I arrived at as I developed my concept. The floors on my car are NOT really great but they are pretty straight and can be salvaged.. I’ve looked at as many different aftermarket chassis on the market as I could find and that includes all of the ones mentioned in this thread and then some.. They are all really beautiful structures but they are mostly generic formulas that can be applied to multiple applications with differing dimensions. The Schwartz chassis is the only one that is a model specific application and it does leave the floors intact but their suspension setup leaves me underwhelmed.. All of the others require you to cut out the floors and firewall. I just figured there must be a way to do this(full frame thing) and keep the factory floors. And so it will be.
0B1B157B-91C8-4279-8C97-438107F3BB1E.png
20E8825A-67C2-4739-B319-74FA32846A20.jpeg
2416E6D2-82F8-4F95-A92C-88AF192F0E75.jpeg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,886 Posts
I previously had a 1939 Ford with a Roadster shop frame. I think their reputation is excellent.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts