Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m celebrating my last day of freedom (marriage3 tomorrow at 5:00) with a day of driving around in an old car. My Falcon is my only older junker in driveable condition, so it’s the one today. I’ve had it a few years, and while I would have preferred a 63 Belair, you can’t touch any older Chevy for the $800 I gave for this, at least not in MO.

Attachments

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,037 Posts
NICE! What engine tranny?
My first car was a 1964 4 door 170 6 cylinder. 2 speed automatic . white with red interior. My grandfathers last car... my first.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,037 Posts
oh and congrats on the marriage. 3rd times the charm!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Failure rates: First marriage 50%
Second 60%. Third 70%. Of course, I’m older now, that will help. Thank you for the wishes, my first time lasted about 20 years. The second time was MUCH shorter. I think my second wife’s mission was to teach me a lesson about good-looking women. She stated once, in a moment of brutal honesty, “Honey, I don’t think you can afford me”.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My Falcon is a 170” 3spd car. It actually runs pretty good, it just won’t cruise over about 55mph. I get passed on the highway, a lot. I was looking for a 62-64 Belair/ Biscayne, maybe a two door post car, when I bought this Falcon. Anything decent seemed to start about $5000. The desirable Impala hardtops, nice with a 327” and maybe a 4spd, were much higher. So I may just keep my Falcon awhile. Do you you still have your 64?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Joe, how does number three feel about cars? Can she buy you that Impala?
Interesting you mentioned that, she has asked, on several occasions how much a good Nova that didn’t need so much work (time) would cost. And seemed to think about $25 to 30k wasn’t that bad. So to answer your question, the money on the cars wasn’t a problem, but too many cars might be.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Too late since you've gotten this close. But a "selection" add might have been a good idea. Something like, "looking for good woman with a classic car. Send pictures of the car".

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I’ll be ok this time. I drove my Falcon a little more when I first got, and used to be a member of a Falcon site. The guys on there weren’t near as much fun as Steve’s site, and actually weren’t very tolerant. I wrote once that my car was slow and wouldn’t run with modern traffic, and the feedback ranged from “you don’t need to drive that fast” to “my six popper will cruise 80mph easy”. Even mentioning a Chevy would get you banned for life.

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
I had a '64 Falcoon 170/auto 2-door post. It was fun for what it was, and a Nova competitor, but it weren't no Nova. If you don't need to drive that fast, that's definitely the car for you. The engine was in good shape, but Ford had their own slush-o-matic trans in that thing, and it was slow, but fun. Even though I've had some nicely optioned and more powerful cars, I'm more and more appreciating the plebeian, everyday unmodified drivers for what they are. Cheap, fun, and an instant trip back in time. Enjoy

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think the Dodge Dart with a 225” slant six was probably a superior car, and that strange front end styling seems better after 50 years of aging. I sorta regret not buying one of those, but they’re kinda of rare. It’s seems like the Falcons are the most available and certainly cheaper than any Nova. I’ve kept a lookout for another 3rd gen Nova for a daily; haven’t seen anything reasonably priced.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
All righty - then . as an old Falcon guy myself . . . . . I liked them - at that time - as had two of them .
A 62 2dr 170 / 3 speed solid car ( that I had fixed a little , and sold to my older brother) . It ran ok ,
and, after he had the car - - - it quit one morning driving to work (towards Dallas) . So, he left the car
on the side of the hi-way , and caught a ride to work . Later that afternoon - - - he went back to
get his car . . . . . LONG GONE . . . . . never saw that car, again . Then, a few months later , there
was a " T V news story about the police busting a gang of 'people' that would go along the high way
looking for 'stalled cars' . . . and tow them off before the owners could pick-up their cars .
Go Figure . . . . then, not so much loosing your car , was bad enough . . . . . . it was loosing
"ALL His Work tools & electrical tools ; that were full , in the trunk . (electric by trade) .
But, later one of my High-School friends had gotten a 69 AMC Javelin . . . . but, had an old 63 Falcon.
The Falcon = 63 Ford Falcon 'Sprint Convertible' = 260 V-8 4speed car . . . . . that was sitting at
his Uncle's Farm in East Texas ( the convert had been parked , sense Bob had gotten the Javelin ) .
Well the (longer) version was - - when Bob was in collage , he had BLOWN - Up the '260 V-8 engine.
and traded another guy (money was cheap in 1969) too do the engine swap for the 'blown V-8 &
4speed trans in trade for installing a Ford straight Six & 3speed . . . . for his labor .
Here's the good part ; That trade - Ford was a "mighty 144 ci straight six" that was worn out about
6 years before . ( Those old 170 sixers were like V-8 . . . compared to the ' 144 ' ) .
That was and has Been MY ONLY Convertible I've EVER owned in my life .
Look at the TV Movie - "Oceans 11" . . . Brad Pitt , drives a Green 63 Falcon convertible . . . . .
Very much like my old car . I could Not - Stand that "No-Power - 144 motor" . . . . so, at that time I had
bought a Mustang 200 / 6 motor & 'scyro 3-speed trans (like for $ 150.00 , for both) . . . . . then, it ran
very well .
Next (a Dodge Dart) , well almost . . . . after I had the Falcon "Sprint" Running Good, Looking Good,
and . . . rather cheap . . . . . . . . . . . I traded it off for a "slant - six Plymouth Valiant" - 64 -
3 - on - the - tree .

ok . . . ok . . . . that's another " LS Jim " story . . . . . I'll find you a picture of 'said Sprint Convertible'
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . and then , later I had a " 69 RoadRunner " ..................................................... (1974 for $ 438.00 ) .

. . . . LS jim

·
13,698 Posts
The early Falcons had a few things that attracted some customers who might have gone Chevy II. First, the 260 CID V/8 was available in 1963. The 4 speed was added in 1964 and could even be had with the 170 CID six cylinder. Falcon also kept convertibles in the lineup right through 1965. In Canada, the high performance 271 HP 289 was available in '65 models. It's believed only 7 were made and just one still exists. I ordered a 1964 Falcon Sprint, black over red. Also had a '65 Falcon sport coupe with the 289 and 3 on the tree (rare combo). As with just about all new cars of this era, quality control was an issue. My Springtime Yellow '65 had to be repainted under warranty when all the horizontal surfaces started to go chalky after about 6 months. All in all, I liked my Falcons and still wish I had the '64 Sprint.

Bob

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Midmo Joe

Talk about a 63 - 64 Chevy . . . . . I wish I had one .
Well , I did have a 64 2dr Chev Biscayne , (1988) , (factory v-8 car) 283 , 3 speed trans , Butt Ugly
car , but fairly straight body (we think it was an old 'city of Kingman car) . . . . running &
driving car . . . . . . . . . . . . .
for a wopping $ 50. 00 .
Drove about 2 years and sold to a co-worker for ............................. $ 50 .

jim

ps : we should be . . . . " neighbors" . . . . . . lol

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Midmo Joe

Talk about a 63 - 64 Chevy . . . . . I wish I had one .
Well , I did have a 64 2dr Chev Biscayne , (1988) , (factory v-8 car) 283 , 3 speed trans , Butt Ugly
car , but fairly straight body (we think it was an old 'city of Kingman car) . . . . running &
driving car . . . . . . . . . . . . .
for a wopping $ 50. 00 .
Drove about 2 years and sold to a co-worker for ............................. $ 50 .

jim

ps : we should be . . . . " neighbors" . . . . . . lol

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That sounds like exactly what I would like to have, those cars were really plentiful 20 years ago. Wonder where they all went?
The early Falcon Sprints are neat cars, and still cheaper than a early V-8 Nova. It seems like when I was younger, the Mopar musclecars were the least expensive of the bunch, followed by Ford. The desirable Chevies seemed to sell the best.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,037 Posts
My Falcon is a 170” 3spd car. It actually runs pretty good, it just won’t cruise over about 55mph. I get passed on the highway, a lot. I was looking for a 62-64 Belair/ Biscayne, maybe a two door post car, when I bought this Falcon. Anything decent seemed to start about $5000. The desirable Impala hardtops, nice with a 327” and maybe a 4spd, were much higher. So I may just keep my Falcon awhile. Do you you still have your 64?
No, I stove it up some, hit a tree, and sold it. the next owner drove it two years then hit a frozen snowbank head on and folded it up pretty good. That car would do 65 mph all day, but might take all day to get to that speed! I do have a lot of memories in that car, the forst car I had a "date " in......but not the last!

·
Super Moderator
3,837 Posts
The '64-5 Falcons are the best looking of the bunch and had some great options (convertibles!), but they always come in second place to a Chevy II or Nova to me. That said, for the 6's, I've always been fascinated with the slant 6, so a few years back I bought one to fix up. Had every intention of doing so, and really wanted a slant 6 car with some Virgil Exner flavor, manual trans so much the better, so I got one:

It was the next project because it was cheap ($800) complete, and had exactly zero rust. I had always heard they had the best 6 cylinder engines, and I liked the factory 3 on the floor.
IMG_2249.jpg
IMG_2250.jpg

I found a Chevy II wagon in the meantime, and my '61 Lancer had to go. Sold it yesterday.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts