Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a CPP mini sub frame with tubular lower control arms and stock uppers on my 66 SS. Dropped spindles, stock springs. I did not use the ball joints from CPP, but opted for Napa Riebes upper and lower. My problem is I have ripped the upper dust boots twice (flexing somehow I guess) and Napa has agreed to give me another set of the boots out of a set. Has anyone experienced this? Everything is installed correctly and allignment is close. I want to fix this and get alligned.
Comments?

Elwood

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
possible the spindle is coming in contact with the boots and is causing the tears/rips... check suspension travel or check spindle for tell tale contact evidence...

nice to know your local reputable parts house is taking care of you...

·
Registered
8,013 Posts
I believe this has been an ongoing issue on here with the CPP fronts. Do a search to see if I'm correct though.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
the lower CBR arms are fantastic... but check out the benefits with installing the uppers...

a lot of benefits to be had over stock uppers. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dust boots

Thanks for the comments - but I guess we still don't know why they rip. The suspension must travel beyond an acceptable range and rip the boot?

EP

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
you'd be surprised how many members had boots get ripped just having their cars on jack stands with suspension at full drop. this is very possibly where the issue occurred... check your car and see. jack it up and take a look at it at full drop.

your suspension will never see full drop unless you're pulling the front wheels at the strip... or maybe if you're playing Dukes of Hazard and jumping rivers etc. ;)

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
you'd be surprised how many members had boots get ripped just having their cars on jack stands with suspension at full drop. this is very possibly where the issue occurred... check your car and see. jack it up and take a look at it at full drop.

your suspension will never see full drop unless you're pulling the front wheels at the strip... or maybe if you're playing Dukes of Hazard and jumping rivers etc. ;)
I agree and was going to post that earlier. Even without an engine or front dog house on the car they are at full extension maybe causing the issues.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Boots

I'm not in front of my car and can't picture exactly what that would look like. What is the solution? A diifferent boot profile or can the spindle or boss be fabbed to interface better?

EP

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boots

When the front end is off the ground on jack stands - that is full extension and that will happen again when I change out the bbots next week. What if I put a block of wood or steel under the upper control arm where it rest against the frame. This would minimize the travel while I do the fix - just need to keep it safe.

EP

1 - 12 of 12 Posts