Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This may be trivial but I've got to ask. When I took the carrier cover off I found that the carrier bearing caps had two different sets of bolts installed. See the photo. It's probably not a problem as a bolt is a bolt I guess but just wanted some opinions as to whether you guys have seen this done before.

Yes, the housing had maybe an ounce of moisture in it and the ring gear got rusty but it's going to be replaced anyway so that didn't matter. everything else looks good. Considering the car sit under a carport for 32 years and not being moved, a little water would have been expected from condensation.

Thanks, Sam

Attachments

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
all four bolts do have 5 lines on the heads though. doesn't that mean that they are all four the same hardness. your replacing the ring gear i guess four new bolts for the caps anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just curious as to why they would be like that. Just hoping there hasn't been any problem with the carrier bearings that would require them to be changed. I was figuring if they have been known to be built like that some times from the factory then most likely everything would be OK and not to worry. The guy that is going to install my 3:36 R&P and Eaton Posi told me not to do anything to the carrier except to take out the spider gears and remove the axles so I could start working on restoring the drum brakes and backing plates. He did not want me doing anything that would upset the carrier bearing shims.

You mentioned the changing of the bolts. I knew that was required for head bolts but didn't know that the carrier bearing bolts had to be done also. Can you point me in the right direction to where I might purchase those four bolts for my 8.2" 10 bolt?

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
i looked back into some of my pictures an found this one. an looks like there is 5 lines on the top of my bolts also but still look different side to side. just not sure though on the right bolts to replace or if really need to. hope the pic loads with the right size.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I took the cross-pin out in order to pull the axles. I also have the spider gears out as they fell out anyway when I pulled the cross-pin. I couldn't take the cross-pin bolt completely out as it was hitting the carrier bearing cap so I just reinstalled it. I don't know the history of the axle assembly and was sort of worried that the rear had been worked on since the bolts were not made by the same manufacturer with two bolts having a TR on top and the other two having a big O on their top all being grade 8. I have all the parts, including the C clips in a bag to take to the guy that is rebuilding assembly for me.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
What are your intentions for the rear? Is it a 10 bolt?

Doubt the caps have been off unless whomever took them off in the past didn't mark them. They are machined to match the housing and should be marked before removing.

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When I get it rebuilt it will be a driver only. No racing but just wanted a posi unit and since I was going to be in there replacing the R&P anyway, I decided to upgrade. The photo Redrider66SS provided shows all the bolts as having the TR on top with 5 points. Looking at photos online I've seen all four bolts for the 8.2" as being the O and TR on top of the bolts. So, it looks like GM used both manufacturers for the cap bolts.

My Assembly was stamped with BA 7 21G built on July 21st which made it more at the end of production run. GM could have been running out of one manufacturer bolts and used the other to complete the build. So far I've seen O bolts in the '64-'65 and TR in '66-'67 and this morning saw O bolts in a '74 so there just doesn't seem to be any reason for the two different manufacturer bolts in my axle assembly.

Apparently, no one has ever seen the carrier caps come with two different manufactured (TR & O) bolts but I have been assured that as long as the bolts are 5 point (grade 8) there is nothing to worry about.

If there is going to be something odd, you can bet I'm gonna get it.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
I wouldn’t get too worked up over bolts not being identical. As long as they are the same thread pitch and fit the cap....a tight bolt is a tight bolt....

·
Premium Member
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I agree now. It just looked strange to me when I took the cover off and saw that. I guess I was worried that something might have happened somewhere in the past to warrant the different bolts but now think is was no biggie. If the new R&P will set up correctly then we'll know all is well and nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
You can replace the factory bolts to allen head bolts :yes:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
gmm used different bolt manufacturers, could have two different boes of bolt next to each other and use whatever one you grab first. encountered the same thing at fisher body with the body fasteners

1 - 13 of 13 Posts