Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have plans to put a stock 350 and probably keep the powerglide thats in my 73 nova... i havent seen very definitely what rear end is in my nova currently but whatever it is sounds like its going to throw a rod at 55 mph... i figure since i eventually am going to put a 350 in it i should change the ring and pinion. im not building a drag car or anything fancy just something cheap to have fun with around 45-55 mph... any suggestions on what i should use? can i change the rear end with the 250 still in the car or will that strain the motor being a longer gear? i could try and find a th350 as well but i feel like ill still need to change the rear end even if i do. any suggestions or info on what was stock in the car would be nice. its unrestored and all original so i know it doesnt have any aftermarket stuff.
edit: ive got the stock 14 inch wheels as well. a friend of mine has told me he think its probably 4.10 or something around there. its a base model nova.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I would leave the gears alone. I highly doubt that chevy was using 4.10 gears from the factory in anything in 1973. I would bet they are low 3's at best.

·
4,534 Posts
In 73 most came with 2.73 and 3.08 gears. Some had 3.23 or 3.42 but those are not as common.

Miles

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
you can figure out what gears are in your diff. jack it up an with jack stands under the axels to hold the tires off the ground turn your right wheel or drum forward one full turn an count the turns the drive shaft makes. that would let you know for sure what gears you have in now.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
In 73 most came with 2.73 and 3.08 gears. Some had 3.23 or 3.42 but those are not as common.

Miles

look at ' Miles ' post again ......... under his "Name" ...

plus, if you know that your Nova IS STOCK --- jack the car up ......

get under the right side -- in front of the "rear axle housing" ... take some 'light sand paper' ... and, look or clean off your "right side axle tube" ... you should find a number ( letters & numbers) ... write those down , and go here too find your axle code.

Also, these cars are OLD ... so, it may or may-not be correct , I'm just saying ...... use good 'jack-stands under your car , if you get under it ......... be care full

look here : mouse over the 'car pictures' .

https://www.novaresource.org/

and, WELCOME to SNS ....... jim

·
Registered
7,040 Posts
you probably need a oil change in your diff anyways. pull the cover count the ring and pinion teeth do the math and guesswork is eliminated!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts