Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have purchased a right stuff disc brake kit to install on my 12 bolt rear end. Has anyone else installed one of these kits and any advice?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
installation is straight forward... pull diff cover, remove C clips/axles, backing plates etc and installing the disc backing plates etc...

you'll find that due to the differences in thickness from drum to disc that the backspacing on your wheels "may" no longer be enough. depending on what wheels/tires you're running, a wheel with more backspacing may be needed...

a disc/disc master is needed too don't forget...

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
X2

The hardest part is actually reading and following the instructions...then getting the shims right.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
install the caliper backing plates, then pads/calipers. use your air compressor to actuate caliper (through bleeder) to clamp down on rotor...

with the caliper connected to the plate and clamped on rotor the plate will be "X" distance from diff flange... install shims accordingly. ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Thanks for the information. I just found in the instructions that I'll have to order another kit piece as my flange holes are 3 3/8 inch instead of 3 1/8 inch, bummer!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
disc/disc master cylinder

Flyer,

I know you mentioned a disc/disc master cylinder also. I put a Heidt front end under the car with front disc brakes. I also replaced the original master cylinder with one from Orielly which I was told would work with drum or disc brakes. Do you think I'm good to go?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
unfortunately, no... you need a Disc/Disc master...

they may offer master cylinders for Power/No Power brakes but disc & drum applications don't interchange.

a power master has a shallow piston hole, manual a deep hole. they insert an adapter into the piston hole on a manual master to make it work with power brakes...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
1969 Corvette, Manual brakes disc disc application...

if you have power brakes...

1969 Corvette, Power brakes, disc disc application...

·
Registered
43 Posts
installation is straight forward... pull diff cover, remove C clips/axles, backing plates etc and installing the disc backing plates etc...

you'll find that due to the differences in thickness from drum to disc that the backspacing on your wheels "may" no longer be enough. depending on what wheels/tires you're running, a wheel with more backspacing may be needed...

a disc/disc master is needed too don't forget...
Flyer,your comment on the backspacing- meaning clearance between the inner wheel and caliper?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Flyer,your comment on the backspacing- meaning clearance between the inner wheel and caliper?
Backspacing is the distance between the back edge of the wheel and the mounting face of the wheel against the brakes. If the brakes push the wheels out a little you may need to increase the backspace to pull the wheel back under the car and prevent rubbing.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Depends on which master you currently have. You will need a different combination valve as the residual pressure is different for a disc brake (2#) compared to a drum brake (10#).

Walt

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Master cylinder

Will a 1972 thru 1980 corvette disc/disc master cylinder work on a 67?This is what the parts guy says I need. These are manual not power.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts