Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am pretty angry right now, bought the whole front and rear disc brake conversion kit from The Right Stuff for my 70 Nova SS. Everything was going great until I went to install the rear calipers. Long story short, they do not fit on my car for some odd reason. Been back and forth with their tech support, and basically now they are telling me to box up the kit and return it.

This is pretty crappy since the kit is made to fit my vehicle. They are telling me that some rear ends with a posi (I have a 12 bolt with an Eaton posi) the axles stick out too far for the pads to clear the rotor.

I contemplated just sanding down the outer pads about an 1/8" each to get them to fit, but they do not recommend I do this. So now I have my car on jack stands and torn apart, with no brake conversion solution and $900 worth of crap I need to box all back up and try to return.

Any of you guys use any of the other kits on a similar vehicle with success? Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Bart

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
you could shim out the caliper bracket 1/8 if that's all you need to get them to clear.

i have a right stuff rear disc kit sitting on the shelf but i don't have the room to move my wheel out the extra 1/8 inch they do so its just sitting there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you could shim out the caliper bracket 1/8 if that's all you need to get them to clear.

i have a right stuff rear disc kit sitting on the shelf but i don't have the room to move my wheel out the extra 1/8 inch they do so its just sitting there.
The kit comes with shims, the problem is the outer pad, not the inner. If it was the inner pad I could shim it out, the only way to fix this problem would be to either sand down the outer pads about 1/8" each, or machine down the caliper bracket on the contact side to give more clearance to the outer pad, but that would also weaken the bracket. To me, the simplest solution is to sand down the pad, but that option doesn't give me warm fuzzies either.

The Right Stuff is telling me it's because I have the Eaton posi which causes the axles to stick out a tad further.

So, at this point, I am thinking of sourcing and piecing together a rear disc brake setup from another vehicle like a late 90s Blazer that will fit my axles. Problem is, I don't know what to get that would work, and I also have 15" wheels and I am not changing those. So yeah, I need some guidance here because I REALLY don't wanna go back to the drums...which will be my last resort.

Thanks,

Bart

·
Registered
2 Posts
same but a little different

I bought an Art Howser rear like 15 years ago 12 bolt possi, Fit like a glove. Well one axel tube is an 1/8 inch shorter than the other. The reason this came to light! disc break conversion. My options were to have the tube replaced, shave the pad, or take the bracket and have it cut down the extra 1/8 inch. The last option is the most likely choice, any place with a CNC machine can do it easily and there is definitely enough meat(aluminium) to shave and still be safe. I just haven't pulled the trigger since the car is almost stripped down and want a tub or mini tube done, so I may have the rear shortened. Just havent got there yet

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I decided to carefully sand down the outer pads on mine to get them to fit, so far so good. It was a bit tricky but I got them as flat as possible on my belt sander. Took off about 1/8" on both outer pads. I hope they bed in ok and this doesn't cause any issues. I talked to a gearhead buddy of mine who builds trophy trucks, and he said he's done a few times without any issues at all, so i am confident this solution should work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts