Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I've been tossing around the idea of finally replacing my front drum brakes with disks on my 66 and have been eyeing up the kit that Right Stuff Detailing and CBR sell. It's a zero offset kit so I would avoid clearance issues and the need to get wheels with a different BS.

Here's the kit that RSD and CBR sell:

https://www.churchboysracing.com/collections/62-67-nova/products/zero-offset-disc-brakes

Here's my question though, does anyone know if there is a stock rotor / pad used with these or would those parts (which are consumable) need to be purchased from the folks who make the kit? If there is a stock option what would the factory vehicle have been?

I really don't like the idea of not being able to easily get pads and rotors from a parts store especially since I do drive this car and brakes wear out.

If these don't use a stock style component can anyone point me toward another kit or diy guide for putting something together that does?

The zero offset piece isn't a make or break deal for me, just something that I was hoping to avoid, so if there is a stock option that makes sense but increases track width I'd be interested.

Thanks in advance!

hotrod

·
Registered
248 Posts
It does use stock parts. I don't remember right off what they fit. But they can be sourced locally when needed. They list in the kit what they are equivalent to. I'm using them on the front of my car.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It does use stock parts. I don't remember right off what they fit. But they can be sourced locally when needed. They list in the kit what they are equivalent to. I'm using them on the front of my car.
Oh really? That's excellent to hear, I was hoping that was the case but couldn't find anything that said it. I figured when CBR started selling them that it was at least a well thought out kit and being able to replace parts like that over the counter seemed pretty common sense to me.

I may have to give that kit a very serious look!

Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
354 Posts
The pads are regular GM but the rotors are special. The kit I used(Right Stuff Zero Offset) didn't require special backspace wheels and the standard 14 and 15 inch worked fine.

bg

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone. I spent a few hours starting some more in depth research last night and now I'm sort of starting at scratch. I really don't like the idea of needing a special rotor. I know it's not something that gets replaced too frequently but the idea of having to redo the whole front brake setup if RSD went out of business or something or getting caught in a bind on a trip not being able to source something locally doesn't sit well with me. I can replace almost everything else that matters on this car at your neighborhood parts store, why change that.

This all has me starting to look into the LT or LS Camaro brake swap folks have done. I think I'll have BS issues for sure and my 15" steelies are probably a no-go for fitting but the whole brake package seems more budget friendly and should be serviceable anywhere.

I've got a ton more research to do but the first thing I've noticed is all the big threads on this swap seem to be from like 10 years ago and the pictures / links are all dead. Anyone able to point me to a thread that still has the drawings for the brackets in it? That seems like the only part that can't be ordered from a catalog. (Though I've heard CBR sells them, just need to get around to giving them a call.)

Thanks again,

hotrod

·
Registered
440 Posts
I just put a kit on this summer. Dont know about if pad or rotors are part store stuff. The brackets for calipers aren't that's for sure. Think you would have to call right stuff.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just put a kit on this summer. Dont know about if pad or rotors are part store stuff. The brackets for calipers aren't that's for sure. Think you would have to call right stuff.
Thanks heckster,

I knew the brackets wouldn't be but they're also not wear parts. I had read elsewhere last night that the disks are not factory, I think the hat is deeper or something to give you the resulting 0 offset. It's a nice solution that creates a new problem (at least in my eyes.)

I'm sure the chances of right stuff going bust and these not being available are somewhat remote but I just don't like the idea of not being able to roll to a store and come home with pads and rotors if I need them.

I'm going to give some serious consideration to the late model camaro swap that people have been doing, just unfortunate that it will also lead to new wheels and tires since my rubber is pretty fresh. Anyone have a tire stretcher that can get my 225/50R15's over a 17" rim? ;)

·
Registered
878 Posts
Hotrod66, are you really going to drive your car so much that you are going wear out rotors? I'd doubt you will even go-thru a set of pads.
That kit for $350 is an absolute bargain and backed by CBR, great people.
Don't talk yourself out of a good product/deal.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hotrod66, are you really going to drive your car so much that you are going wear out rotors? I'd doubt you will even go-thru a set of pads.
You know... that's a pretty fair counterpoint... I have over 100k on my Wrangler and only replaced the rotors because it was time to replace pads and just as cheap to buy new rotors as to have the old ones machined (at least once you factor in ease I suppose).

That might have done it for me and boy does that simplify things if I don't need to do wheels and tires as well...

Thanks Alf!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So calling CBR is still on the list but does anyone know if the "wheel only kit" that CBR sells comes with everything but the master cylinder / prop valve / booster or is it missing lines and anything else? I'm thinking about getting the wheel only kit and my own master cylinder and adjustable prop. valve. That should end up being pretty close to the manual kit with the addition of an adjustable proportioning valve.

Any feedback on that idea?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Maybe I'm overthinking things again. I'll probably be hard pressed to get an adjustable prop. valve and master cylinder for the $100 difference in the price and I suppose if I feel the proportioning isn't right after the fact I can add an adjustable valve.

Does anyone know if the included prop. valve has the residual pressure valves for the front brakes? I'm assuming it would if this is meant to be used to convert a car to disks that was originally 4 wheel drum.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Original 67 Nova master cylinders have a residual valve in each outlet port. Very few replacement or rebuilt master cylinders have them any more.

Master cylinders for cars that used a combination valve do not have residual valves.

A GM disc/drum combination valve has a residual valve in the port for the rear brakes.

You do not want a residual valve in the front brake line if it's a disc setup.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
I put 4-way discs on my 65. I used the CPP kit setup with the 9" booster and drilled and slotted rotors. They have worked well on the car.

The wheels and tires I used were:

Pete Paulsen Motorsports chrome rally wheels:
15x6 – 3 ¾ BS front with BFG TA 205/60/15
15x7 – 4 ½ BS rear with BFG TA 235/60/15

Hope this helps! :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Original 67 Nova master cylinders have a residual valve in each outlet port. Very few replacement or rebuilt master cylinders have them any more.

Master cylinders for cars that used a combination valve do not have residual valves.

A GM disc/drum combination valve has a residual valve in the port for the rear brakes.

You do not want a residual valve in the front brake line if it's a disc setup.
Thanks for that, I never really understood what did or didn't / should or shouldn't have the residual valves. I'm going to price out getting my own MC and prop valve and getting the wheel only kit vs the manual kit. I'm betting it will be hard to beat the price of the manual kit though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Okay, so the research continues. After being unable to find the kit on the RSD site or Summit just by searching, I was able to find a few threads that listed (I think) the actual part number of the kit: AFXWK14

Here: https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=498433&page=2

I found that summit seems to have it which is super attractive for me since they tend to be 1 day shipping to me from Reno and over $100 spend that shipping is free (that hurt a bit when I bought the lowers and sway bar from CBR... Ohio is a long way from CA and suspension parts aren't lite!). That more than makes up for the price difference to me and there's a deal going on now anyway where I'd save $20...

I can't seem to find the kit on Summit that includes the master cylinder and prop valve so I might be going the route of sourcing my own anyway.

My "checkout now" finger is getting itchy, anyone see an issue with the path I'm going down right now?

EDIT: So shipping isn't free on that due to weight and it does say these will still push the wheel's out 3/8 inch but everything else I see says this is the zero offset kit... That said I'd love someone to confirm before I pull the trigger...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Okay, probably going to sleep on this yet and make sure I'm not missing something obvious before checking out but here's what I'm up to so far:

Links:

Master Cylinder: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dhb-m64986

Brakes: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-afxwk14

Prop Valve Bracket: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rsd-pvb71

Prop Valve: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3906

Thoughts / concerns with placing this order? I know I'll need to address the hard lines to the prop valve but I've got fittings left from redoing my hard lines and can get some extra hard line easily enough.

Am I doing myself a disservice not calling CBR and sourcing the kit from them? Like I said, not opposed to it and they were awesome to deal with for my suspension but the relatively cheap shipping ($10) and SEMA discount going on right now with Summit is deeply tempting...

EDIT:

Leaning more toward this prop valve and just making a bracket the more I'm thinking about it: https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g3905

Is there a reason why one like the one I posted earlier would be a better choice? If I'm understanding things correctly there's really no reason the prop valve should need to have both the front and rear brakes flow through it right?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts