Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody know how power a new Richmond Super T-10 can withstand? Richmonds website says they are bulletproof I have a hard time believe that. Im not talking about street use either. Im talking about dragstrip abuse with slicks.

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
I know a guy running one behind a Motown Hardcore Racing 509 cubic inch BB 540 hp/580tq. It's been fine for the last few years and several trips to the track with drag radials.

Kev

·
Registered
475 Posts
I have one in one of my Ventura's...........engine has about 480hp and 490tq. So far so good but I have not ran the car with slicks yet. Not so sure about being "bullet proof". If I were going to run a 4-speed on the strip on a regular basis I would spend more and get a Jerico. Also, my Richmond didnt shift that great out of the box so I sent it off for some work. Really for what the trans costs and what it costs to get it to shift good (or what I consider good), you could put a few hundred more with that and get a Jerico. IF you get a Jerico though and plan to drive it on the street then order the one with road race sliders, otherwise downshifting is nearly imposible.
In my opinion, the Richmond Super T-10 is stronger than the original B&W Super T-10...............the gears are better and the case is stronger. BUT, Im not sure how well it would last in a car that is raced a lot........there are a lot of variables......traction, weight, torque.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks like i will stick with the automatic. I don't want to buy a trans that pukes its guts out on the first pass. I was talking to a friend about 4 speeds tonight and just was thinking about one for my car.

Jerico's are more than this cheap *** is willing to pay. I would still have to get all the extras to run the manual bellhousing, linkage, clutch, pedals, etc. and buy a $4500 trans. Its not worth it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Put the jerico in it and you will never run an auto again! Besides that the car will be quicker with more mph. My car ran 10.86 @123 1.47 60ft with a t-400 and brake, put the jerico in and on second pass went 10.25 @ 128 with a 1.38 60ft. and thats with a street clutch setup.....non adjustable. I also know of 1 user on this board that will be selling his jerico SOON! He is going to put another jerico in his car.
Jim

P.S. this trans has close to 100 passes on it wheeels up and still has yet to break anything.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
For that much money the Jerico better be the only transmission i ever use again. It better last the rest of my life;) !

·
Registered
475 Posts
Justin66 said:
Looks like i will stick with the automatic. I don't want to buy a trans that pukes its guts out on the first pass. I was talking to a friend about 4 speeds tonight and just was thinking about one for my car.

Jerico's are more than this cheap *** is willing to pay. I would still have to get all the extras to run the manual bellhousing, linkage, clutch, pedals, etc. and buy a $4500 trans. Its not worth it.
Dont have to spend $4500 for a Jerico........you can get a new one for under $2800.......used ones for $2200 and less. Or, the Tex Racing T-101's are plenty strong and can easily be had for under $2000 used.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Fatcat said:
The original ST10 had a nodular iron case that was substantially stronger than the current aluminum case.
I think you may be slightly confused.......I will explain...........
The Borg-Warner T-10 was first used starting in 1957 and was used up through 1973. The Borg-Warner Super T-10(from here on we will call it an ST-10 for simplicity) was a new design and replaced the old original T-10's and Muncies starting in 1974. All ST-10's that came in production cars had the aluminum case. There were some St-10's sold under the name Power Brute(I think thats the right name) that did have an iron case and also had high nickel gears but they were not offered in production cars, they were available through speed shops only as far as I know.
Around 1979 thru about 1981 some cars did come with ST-10's that had an iron case AND some of the transmissions during that time that were used to replace broken ones under warranty had iron cases......those were the ONLY ST-10's with iron cases in production cars. Most of those transmissions had an iron main case and an aluminum tailshaft housing.
The ST-10, even the Borg-Warner version, has better gears and bigger shafts counter shafts than the original B-W T-10's had.
A billet or iron mid plate can be used in the transmissions with aluminum cases to strengthen them quite a bit, gets rid of a lot of the twisting of the case.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Sorry to say but thats still high for my blood. I can build two th-400 for that money. If i already had all the extra components needed for the swap and there was $1000 knocked off that price I may consider it.

I was just doing some thinking about the 4 speeds. After I had made my first post about them I started checking around learning a little about the Muncie's and ST-10's. They sound puny to say the least. I was already changing my mind quickly.

Most everyone that seems to have luck with either of the manual trans admit they have had little drag strip abuse and most do not use slicks. The Jerico definetly sounds like the way to go if you have the extra cash but I can spend my money better in other places. It does have a definite cool factor to have a 4 speed. Then again I cannot tell you the number of people that have walked by my car and seen the B&M Pro Stick shifter and said wow you got a Muncie. Just because there is a white ball on the shifter. Maybe they are all high or just think any shifter with a white ball is a 4 speed.

Are there any good websites on the Tex 101 I have never heard of this trans just thought I would take a look and see what they are all about. I haven't came up with any good info on the 101's yet.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah...going fast with a manual trans isnt cheap thats for sure.
Im gonna pull the Richmond out and put it in another car so I can run a TH-400 at the track, Im just afraid that the ST-10 wont hold up when the car hooks solid.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Also I would like to add that I think Im wrong on my post above about when the original T-10s were used........I am not sure they were used until '73, I think that the original T-10 was dropped earlier than that and Muncies and Saginaws were used. Then the ST-10 came out in '74 and replaced the Muncies.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
If you want a 4 speed for a street/strip car that won't break the bank, check out a company called autogear. They sell a completely brand new M-22 that is much much stronger than any production 4 speed, and alot stronger than the Richmond T-10.I even had a tech at Richmond recommend this trans to me (kind of under his breath). You can get one with the stock 2.20 first gear or a 2.56 first gear. They also make a special road racing geared trans and an overdrive (that they and I don't recommend). This trans has a much stronger main case, thicher cast tailshaft, cast iron mid-plate, and the low pitched M-22 gears. Thes trans are $1850 (give or take a couple of dollars) outright, complete, and brand new.:cool:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Fatcat said:
Colin, I'm not confused at all. I bought at least 20 ST10's in the 70's.
I personally have never seen a Super T-10 with an iron case. I have owned quite a few 2nd gen Camaros and Firebirds and so has my Father and Uncle. All of the ST-10's in any of those cars all had aluminum cases. I would like to see a ST-10 with an iron case,the 30+ ones I have seen had aluminum cases. I know there were some produced, as I mentioned in a post above, but they were sold in the aftermarket and not used in production cars with the exception of some of the later ones supposedly due to a lot of warranty claims. I would really like to find one of those that were sold in the aftermarket with the iron case and high nickle gears....I would imagine that would be a pretty rare find.
Furball I think your right about the Muncie replacing the original T-10 in the 60's. Then the ST-10 came out in 1974 to replace the Muncie.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I had 2 different Super T-10's in my '66 Nova. The first box was the aftermarket one available in the early 1980's. It had the 2.68 first gear and 1.60 second. The drop from first to second was too much. Broke the synchro rings every once in a while, that was it. The second box I built from an 81 Trans Am trans and a used 904 case I had. This box had the 2.43 first gear and worked great. The 904 number meant the case was nodular and had the high nickel gears. I never had a gear break. And I beat the hell out of it.
The car ran 11's at 123 on the old style Mcreary street tires.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
All the ST10's I bought were aftermarket, I did not buy junkyard transmissions. The 904 is the nodular case. The 904 does NOT mean they had the 9310 gears. The 9310's were retrofit.

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Like your reference says at the top of his article," based on rumor, fact, vague memory, etc". "Power Brute" was the name of the line of performance clutches, U joints, transmissions , etc, Brog Warner was selling at the time. It is an absolute fact that the vast majority of 904 cased transmissions did not come with the nickle gears, I am sure of this because I broke a lot of them before the nickle gears became available. Furthemore, I am fairly certain, that no trasmission came with the nickle set up as new, they were available to retrofit and upgrade only, I could be wrong on that part but I doubt it.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts