Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying the Richmond street 5 speed with overdrive for my 63 Nova, it's a 355 SBC about 400 to 425 HP, Stock engine compartment with full CBR front suspension and CBR Headers. Primary use would be street with a rare run down the quarter mile just for fun. Do you guy's know if the floor or tunnel needs to be cut or modified and does the shifter come out anywhere near stock 4 speed location with the factory hump? Thanks for your help! and if you have this trans in your car ...How do you like it? :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome... CGMike.. Seems like most use the TKO.. T56 and other new manual gear box's nowadays. I know you have to do Tunnel surgery for those. we will see if anyone can shed some light on this for us....Cheers

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Can I jump-in here --- My Nova is a 3rd gen --- But THIS INFO should work for ANY year Nova.
Unless you already have a 'Richmond 5 speed' and/or just prefer that type trans ( that's ok with me).
I'm just offering up some MORE Good Info.......
I just DID a Borg/Warner T 5 , world-class S-15, from a GMC '93 , 2.8 -V6,
2w/d truck (installed back in Feb/Mar 2018).

Total Cost .. for me : about $ 2600.00 -- & I bought 3 different clutch disc ..... I know the 'correct clutch' to buy now !

HERE IS THE KICKER :

You DO - NOT HAVE To CUT Your TRANS
TUNNEL - Up .

ONLY Cutting to Your Floor is : "FOR YOUR SHIFTER HANDEL" !

(I just DID this) ... YES -- my Nova is A SIX - Cyl (250 - I6) car ...

GO HERE & READ This Post :

T 5 Install , by: taz3 , 28 June , 2017 , over in the 3rd Gen section -----
(at the top search box : type-in T 5 Install
(it's on the second page by now).

His -taz3 - Nova IS a 69 Nova , 396 BB , (was a 4 speed factory car), with a bench seat.... THAT'S HOW To MAKE a B/W T 5 work in our cars ........... and ........... hold - up to the V-8 power !
" With - out Doing a bunch of tunnel cutting or floor Mods "
The main part is -- you need to use / buy the 'World - Class T 5' .
WHY ---- because they only make -- new & aftermarket gear / gear sets for the W/C type trans. (I replaced my "reverse idler gear , and my 5th gear, and my 5th gear slider" ........ no problem buying new gears (and, correct parts, the 1st time around). just FYI

In that Post ... there is a reference to the web page by ' lugnutz65 '
go READ His Pages. Some of the Better T 5 info & with pictures.

O K --- just passing along some GOOD Stuff about O. D. trans , that do-not break your bank. It's your Nova , too each their on.
I have been driving my T 5 since March 17, 2018 ..... and .....

SWEET Tranny , plus o.d.

I'm only using the 'stock S-15 shifter & stock gears / with New rebuild
(rebuild by me) ... 0.72 od gear , making 21.5 mpg with a stock
(block & head) engine , Offy 4bbl , 6 - banger.
I DO Have Pictures .. & , Part Numbers.

I will say This : their is Good info -- and, alot of wrong info out there about these transmissions .. plus, I can't afford a T 56.

jim

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
#1 using a stock GM sbc alumn. bell '403' & stock Nova z-bar clutch linkage. only hole / or floor mod === hole for shifter .

#2 T 5 trans INSTALLED :

and , NO ADAPTER NEEDED . just drill out 4 mounting holes (ears on tranny) to 1/2" bolt size ....... bolt - it - up.

·
Registered
67 Posts
richmond 5 speed

Hi I have a Richmond in my 63,bolts right up. I used a 7005 crossmember slightly modified to lower trans(tells you this in instructions} factory drive shaft with yoke change, It has a long shifter(very nice) about 1.5 inch back from stock,I just trimmed the hole.had to change the cluch disc 2 a fine spline. 5th gear is 1to1 so works best with like a 3.08 or so rear ratio

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jim... my nephew had a world-class T5 in a surf wagon with a Ford T-bird 4 cylinder turbo charged he loved it. This evening I'm going to look at those links that you sent for the T5 it's not out of the question and they are a lot cheaper I just don't want to hurt it and have to do it over again. Thanks for all the info

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Jim... my nephew had a world-class T5 in a surf wagon with a Ford T-bird 4 cylinder turbo charged he loved it. This evening I'm going to look at those links that you sent for the T5 it's not out of the question and they are a lot cheaper I just don't want to hurt it and have to do it over again. Thanks for all the info
I do understand. And, my Nova is only a 250 - I6 ...... which runs VERY well , all stock motor (block & head) .. with an Offy 4 bbl intake & Holley 390 cfm 4 bbl
carb. Been using this T 5 for about 2500 miles, now. Mostly checking too see if I "put it back together correctly"... all is good, plus, I'm even getting some second gear "scratch" ... cool !

My point was : Talk to Paul (taz3) , with his 69 - 396 - V8 --- that would be the TEST, I think. I , just went to the "lugnutz65.com" page and was reading his up-dates about T5's ... Very Good Reading / Info.
I'm using my trans with my stock ' 3.08 - 8.2 / 10bolt rear , and I did think my gear ratio might be too bad for my 1st gear --- like using a granny-gear. (1st gear is 3.97)

it's working REALLY good. With NO ADAPTER plate , trans bolted direct to the sbc bell #3858403 (for a 3rd gen) - 10.5" clutch. My T 5 IS A World Class ---------- I think it makes a BIG difference ( compared to a NWC T 5).
because -- the fact you can get New Gears (still) , where-as the
Non-W/C T 5's == you have to use USED gears from another NWC trans. The "strength" of both 'types T 5's' (stock gears) are about the same--- my though is : can I keep finding used nwc T 5's to rob already used gears -- then, they have to match my gear-ratio, also.
A few separate gears do fit both type trannys (like the 'reverse idler gear, is the same).
i think for my six -- this trans will last forever, and, I'm staying with my 6. I'm retired now, and just can't buy a T56 (sure, I'd like to have one), just not now.
Mine .. T 5 = $ 150.00 on my local 'craiglist', plus a complete rebuild kit, all new clutch & clutch parts (z-bar, pedals, linkage, ect.) You DO need to cut your drive-line, use your (mine was a p/g) tranny yoke, p/g trans rubber mount, and p/g trans crossember. I moved my crossmember back about 1" - 2" (that worked out VERY EASY -- simple).
I DID Mod my p/g crossmember in the "center portion" == only so my trans didn't bump/hit on my floor. LOOK at my 1st picture (at the bottom edge - or fore-ground) & you can see that mod -- very easy !
93 GMC S-15 T 5 -- tag # 1352 - 122
You can look up T 5 tag #'s at : BritishV8.org .. (look at T5 codes, top header). .... Then , in 1993 (late in the year) - 1994 ... on ...
Borg/Warner "changed the transmission mounting hole pattern" to the
"Ford Pattern" ... so, those type T 5's may have to use an adapter plate to fit the GM bell housings. MY TRANS IS From a 93 S-15 ---- but my trans "case, top cover, & tail housing .. were cast in 1992 .... ( the old style bolt pattern).

Hey ..... I'm VERY happy, and, I think so is Paul --- just passing along what worked for me.

Then, what about the "Legend 700" 5 speed" ?

(from start to finish -- my car was down for 45 days (even with my 'clutch disc problems). --- plus -- I just turned "Th' Big 70" ... alot slower now-days.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
#1 stock GMC T 5 bolted to stock sbc bellhousing -- no adapter plate
Look at the "casting date = 92" ........ click on the top bar to 'enlarge the picture'

#2 this IS why it took 45 days --- I'm getting older.
I bet you guys can't even pick-up your T 56 trannys .... :no:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Richmond 5 speed

"what's a 7005 crossmember who makes it and where do you get one"

I believe he is talking about a 700R4 crossmember. I thought a crossmember for a turbo 400 was the right one?

Jerry

·
Registered
61 Posts
Just finished a tko600/LS3 in my 1970. Only trans hump modification was a 4-5inch hole for the shifter, that’s it.

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
Just finished a tko600/LS3 in my 1970. Only trans hump modification was a 4-5inch hole for the shifter, that’s it.

got any pictures of that tranny --- in the car, showing the trans tunnel, and, out of the car (so we can see what size it is). any $$$$
amounts ....

Thank you,

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks... But My Nova is a 1963 first Gen with a much smaller trans tunnel and it's quite a bit more surgery than the 1968 and later Nova. I wish the TKO was a better fit for mine... just not sure I want to cut up my car for a trans when there are other options...It's a real SS car.. thanks again!

:horse:

·
Registered
4,665 Posts
" just not sure I want to cut up my car for a trans when there are other options...It's a real SS car.. thanks again!"

We do know what you mean -- cutting up your FLOORS .

go up to my pictures & look how clean it is under my 69's floors. The fresh 'white spray bomb' is just to cover the scratches & line marks that I drew on the tunnel.

good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts