Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
71 350/350/12 bolt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a 71 probably 12 years ago now and regretted selling it the day I watched it leave.

Fast forward, I had a 2010 SS Camaro that I liked a lot but I’ve always been an old school muscle car guy. Camaro was cammed, bolt ons, rear gear, made 480/430 to the tires, fast fun reliable car but I had the itch for another Nova.

3 weeks ago I sold the Camaro and that same day went to look at a 71 Nova. The ad was weird, listing for a friend, didn’t return calls, but as soon as I got through I said I want to come look at it. Car had been put away since November, hooked the battery up and once it had fuel it fired right up and purred.

Ran good, no smoke, no noises, body looks to be in good shape. Told the seller I’ll be back next weekend with cash. I think the weird ad and lack of communication scared a lot of people away.

Drove the car home 100 miles with no heat(interior was just redone and they never hooked blower back up) and loved every minute of it. No issues, cruised nice.

Car has a fairly stock 350, th350, 12 bolt posi rear. Nice foundation to start with. Also has a Martz Chassis front end in it. Quality looks exceptional, small family shop in PA. I reached out to them and they confirmed it’s their setup. Frame is connected.

Now for the good stuff. I already scheduled to drop off a 4 bolt small block at the machine shop this coming Saturday. He’s doing all the machine work(bore,hone,freeze plugs, line hone, cam bearing, deck, and studding the mains). Going with a Scat 9000 crank, forged rods, forged pistons 11:1, ordered a set of Summit 200cc aluminum heads made by Brodix, a Howard’s hydraulic roller cam 237/[email protected] .560/.560, Team G single plane, comp cams 1.5 roller rockers, car has a 6AL box and dizzy already, and a Holley fuel pump. Also a 3200 10” converter.

Hoping to have it all together and running by mid/end of April. My wife just laughs at me because I told her I’d drive it as is with the stock 350 for the summer 😂.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,760 Posts
Very nice looking Nova... with some decent performance upgrades planned!
Please keep us posted.

Reactions: Rich71

·
Registered
71 350/350/12 bolt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boxes of parts waiting in the cellar. Started pulling the 350 out yesterday with my father. Only things left are bell housing bolts, torque converter bolts, and motor mounts. Ordered a TCI rattler only to find out the car has a Fluidampr on it, oh well.

Machine shop should be starting on the block this week. Nice weather is coming, hopefully he bangs it out quick.

·
Registered
1967 Nova SS
678 Posts
Thank you, will do. Railroader here as well, Carman for commuter rail in Boston.
Well Hello. Railroaders are special. I hired out on the Gulf Mobile & Ohio looooong time ago. GM&0 merged with Illinois Central and then merged with Canadian National. Retired in 2012, 42 years all the time in clerical group. Once a Railroader, Always a Railroader.

·
Registered
71 350/350/12 bolt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spoke with the machine shop today and his supplier was a month out for parts so I called around and ordered one of the few balanced rotating assemblies I could find. Block work is all done though, .030 over and decked .010. Went with the Eagle Competition forged. 3.75” forged crank, 6” H beam rods, forged MAHLE 11:1 pistons. Little more than I wanted to spend but now I won’t be afraid to spray it later on down the road. Balancer and head gaskets came in, man the Rattler is heavy! Went with Cometic MLS .040 gaskets.

·
Registered
71 350/350/12 bolt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Nice ditch the newer car for an old car love it. Just can't stay away from the addiction.(y)
I missed having a Nova since I sold my first one. Don’t get me wrong the Camaro was a blast and had all the creature comforts but I’ve always been an old school dude. I love it.

Dropped my rotating assembly off Tuesday, said the short block should be ready early next week. Ordered a custom Pro Systems carb, that should also be in next week. So if the stars align I hope to have it fired by Saturday the 24th. 🤞

·
Registered
71 350/350/12 bolt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Engine came out yesterday. Touched up some areas with paint. Now just patiently waiting.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I missed having a Nova since I sold my first one. Don’t get me wrong the Camaro was a blast and had all the creature comforts but I’ve always been an old school dude. I love it.

Dropped my rotating assembly off Tuesday, said the short block should be ready early next week. Ordered a custom Pro Systems carb, that should also be in next week. So if the stars align I hope to have it fired by Saturday the 24th. 🤞
If you don't mind me asking who is doing the balancing?

·
Registered
71 350/350/12 bolt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
If you don't mind me asking who is doing the balancing?
I ordered the balanced Eagle kit. Came with paperwork with the piston/rod weights and bobweights. Using a local machine shop in Ware MA, Edgar Machine. He did a 350 for me years ago that went into my high school truck, ran great with no issues so figured I’d use him again. It’s the Eagle internally balanced kit.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I ordered the balanced Eagle kit. Came with paperwork with the piston/rod weights and bobweights. Using a local machine shop in Ware MA, Edgar Machine. He did a 350 for me years ago that went into my high school truck, ran great with no issues so figured I’d use him again. It’s the Eagle internally balanced kit.
I've heard good things about their work, times sure have changed, 20 years ago the Worc area had several excellent auto machine shops and now there are virtually none. Anything I need machine work done on now has to be brought to Ludlow, (RAD auto machine) or to Whitman (Reid's) both are not exactly around the corner but the quality of work both do is worth the drive.

·
Registered
71 350/350/12 bolt
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've heard good things about their work, times sure have changed, 20 years ago the Worc area had several excellent auto machine shops and now there are virtually none. Anything I need machine work done on now has to be brought to Ludlow, (RAD auto machine) or to Whitman (Reid's) both are not exactly around the corner but the quality of work both do is worth the drive.
I called RAD, I know they’re arguably one of the best around but were booked a minimum of 4 months out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I called RAD, I know they’re arguably one of the best around but were booked a minimum of 4 months out.
You're right, Don's work is top-notch, his equipment is newest of new but yes at this time of year with race season coming up he's always a ways out. If I have the time I just drop whatever it is off and say call me when it's ready because I know it'll be right.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts