Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any solid feedback on these heads? I carried this topic over from another thread...a few folks have them but havent really tested them to know for sure. Sounds like they are pretty new & they claim to be a great product. If no one has any reviews yet we will just wait & see how some of the guys feel about their new heads after a trip or two to the track...Thanks.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I dont know whats the deal with that CHP test. I know of at least two people who independently flowed their as cast 180 heads and gotten much better results.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Here are flow numbers of a member from another board who had their topline 180 heads flowed. But they are now RHS so the head design might be different.

Exhaust

Here is a setup with 180s

11.58 with a 71 nova 3.42 gear, 406 flattop and topline 180 heads, rpm intake, 750 dp, and a 286 herbert cam. Sprayed 75 shot and ran 11 flat. Runs drag radials and bone stock suspension.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Here's the graph comparing Shaggy's Topline flow with Kev's ported S/R's. This is assuming the Toplines were flowed at 28"! I can't verify the flow results but if accurate out of the box the Toplines are better than hours of work on stock style ports (what I've been saying all along). Are these Vortec style heads or the old (pre RHS) Toplines? I guess if this '71 Nova is getting 750HP then Kev ought to be getting 500!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I guess if this '71 Nova is getting 750HP then Kev ought to be getting 500!
I think that was a typo. I dont think it has 750 hp but a 750 dp carb. I copied it exact so I missed that. I was using the 180s as a comparison. I dont have any data on the vortec heads as they are a completly different thing. Out of curiosity since you ported those s/r heads have you checked the cc's on them now?

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Now here's the results from Westech (a very reputable shop) These are listed as flowed at 28". Now compare it to the ported S/R's (also flowed at 28").
Big difference on the intake. I haven't checked the volume because it doesn't mean anything.
It's the minimum cross section that matters. If I had to guess they are around 170-175cc.
I might check if I have time. My first priority is to get it done and out of the garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Thats one of many flowbenches ive seen for the 180s. One of the lowest too incedently. I like multiple comparsions rather than one bench thats funded by many advertisments that pay to keep their publications running. Check out Shaver racing and see what he has to say about the flow bench. Since Pro-Topline is no more Im sure Shaver would have no problem giving you actual data since he has nothing to lose.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I believe those are the old Pro topline heads, not the vortec heads. Basically a S/R bolt on. I think that CHP test was from around 4 years ago. The new vortecs are a different head.:)

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Seems to me the Westech numbers aren't helping CHP sell heads! I would be more inclined to think the New Jersey shops were flowing at 25" or these are different design heads.
I agree that you have to take flow results with a grain of salt. It's real easy to get the answers the customers want.
btw, my numbers are valid and double checked. I'm certainly not selling anything. I gave it away! The data is interesting. Even Westech's conservative numbers show the unported exhaust on the 180 is close to my ported S/R exhaust. Obviously, the ported S/R needs more work on the exhaust to get the intake to exhaust flow ratio better. I'd need to find another 15 cfm on the exhaust but time's running out on this fiasco.

NovatoriusRex said:
Am I the only one who can't read the legend on the graph? :cool: (blind, not cool) :rolleyes:
Here's the legend from the second graph. The colors are the same for the first one but the data was supplied by Shaggy.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
shaggy said:
I think that was typo. I dont think it has 750 hp but a 750 dp carb. I copied it exact so I missed that.
What's that Nova run without nitrous? What's it's race weight with driver?

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Paul Wright said:
What's that Nova run without nitrous? What's it's race weight with driver?
The first time I wrote is without nitrous 11.58. 11 flat was with. Im pretty sure the flow was at 28" but it really doesnt matter because the westech flow article is not worth arguing.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
I found out that the 2005 July issue of Chevy Rumble magazine they did a write up with Joe Sherman on a pump gas 383ci build. They used the RHS vortec heads. I think Repointer posted this once but I cant find the article now. Supposedly it made 539HP but that was with porting although he used 1.94 1.5 valves.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
shaggy said:
I found out that the 2005 July issue of Chevy Rumble magazine they did a write up with Joe Sherman on a pump gas 383ci build. They used the RHS vortec heads. I think Repointer posted this once but I cant find the article now. Supposedly it made 539HP but that was with porting although he used 1.94 1.5 valves.
Here is the article. He talks about the heads near the end. They are the 1.94/1.50 version.

http://www.compcams.com/Community/Articles/Details.asp?ID=626740338

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
They actually sell this setup and dyno them. Before there was RHS it was called Pro-Topline and Joe Sherman used Topline heads to make high horspower engines. Topline had lots of Quality control problems though and went bankrupt. Your odds of getting a bad set was more common than most head makers. In the article that Repointer posted look very carefully at the logo of the close up head in the picture.

Joe Sherman Street and Crate engines have powered countless cars and street rods on the streets of America. His Race engines have been winning races at many tracks for over Four decades. Back in the early 1970's Joe was one of the first to install a 3.75" stroke crank out of a 400 into a 350 block creating the now popular 383 small block Chevy. It's this type of ingenuity that goes into every engine we build
http://www.joeshermanracing.com/Engines/Chevy/Street/383ChevyEngine.html

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
This is pre RHS with a milder setup.

From the article pg 76

"Some of the things that set the Pro Topline "906 replacement" heads apart from the rest is that it can take a cam with more than .470 lift right out of the box and comes with screw-in studs standard."

oct. 2003 Super Chevy, Joe Sherman Racing builds engines using slightly modified ProTopline Vortecs. He won the PHR engine masters challenge and won $75,000 doing it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I had very mild Vortec heads on a 327 with comp cams .480 lift cam and 1.6 roller tips. My car is stock suspension 3100lbs 26in tire & 4.10's and the car went 12.90
Now its a 383 with a TKO600 same heads. Ill keep you posted on the ET's

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Repointer Im hoping you will read this. I was wondering if you were able to use standard length pushrods or did you have to get longer ones?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts