Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some good options for a reverse pattern manual valve body, shifter? I'm looking for the best value, something that will work great without breaking the bank. Thanks for your input... BTW it's for a TH350.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
b&m pro ratchet there pretty cheap or you could go with a b&m pro stick or similiar but they get expensive youll have to get the one with the reverse gate plate for that shifter. i believe the pro ratched doesnt need it

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hurst Pro Matic 2 always worked well for me. Had one in my Mustang for 4 years and never had a problem from it and used it on a C4 with trans brake and reverse pattern manual valve body.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Ive used the b&m pro ratchet, the pro stick and the hurst quik stick all with reverse valve bodys with no problems. They all are good and prety close in price.

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Hurst Pro Matic 2 always worked well for me. Had one in my Mustang for 4 years and never had a problem from it and used it on a C4 with trans brake and reverse pattern manual valve body.
you had a mustang you should be ashamed of your self :devil: :D

just kidding

·
Registered
4,760 Posts
Well what can I say. I am not brand loyal by any means. I have had them all and had several of each. LOL Had to beat a little fox body for price and preformance.
dont tell anyone this but i want an 85 lx fox body for the longest time but of corse it would be powered by a chevy motor :shhh: :shhh: :shhh::shh: :shh:

·
Registered
532 Posts
dont tell anyone this but i want an 85 lx fox body for the longest time but of corse it would be powered by a chevy motor :shhh: :shhh: :shhh::shh: :shh:
OK I won't tell anyone. I will make sure I don't tell my buddy that has a 92 LX that has an LSX in that you are going to take his idea. :eek:

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
I'd run a QuarterStickII with the rear exit cable. I wouldn't run a reverse valve body for the simple fact that I put the car in neutral when I go through the lights. That's the only reason. They work as good as a forward though. My .02. Dave

·
Registered
163 Posts
I like the B&M Pro Ratchet for its simplicity. Some people don't like having to ratchet back and forth. With a reverse pattern valve body, it's not bad from park or reverse to first.

I put the car in neutral when I go through the lights.
I've been told by several trans builders this is a very bad idea. Can't tell you specifically why but I'm sure someone here knows the technical reason.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
I believe the internidiate drum will spin at 2.5 times as the direct drum. So in 3rd gear at a 1:1 ratio and your spinning 6000 RPM's the intermidiate drum will shoot up to 12,000 RPM's and kaboom!

I use a B&M Pro Ratchet shifter.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
I believe the internidiate drum will spin at 2.5 times as the direct drum. So in 3rd gear at a 1:1 ratio and your spinning 6000 RPM's the intermidiate drum will shoot up to 12,000 RPM's and kaboom!
lots of places make a valve body that freewheels in 1&2, and i believe this corrects the exploding problem. only engine-brakes in third, and when you let off the gas in 1 or 2 it coasts. I run TCI's version in a reverse pattern, with a hurst pistol grip quarter stick. I had a quicksilver i really liked for street driving, but I'm very pleased with my quarter stick. I like the lockout features, but i think they could be a PITA if i drove it everywhere.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
There is a big difference between a 1-2 coast and going into neutral and coasting. Big, big, big difference. Mine has no engine brake in 1-2 but does in 3rd.

But hey you can do what you want to.:yes: I used to, for years I would kick into neutral with no ill affects. Then I saw and heard of the mayhem and decided I didn't want to become a victim. :no:

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I used to, for years I would kick into neutral with no ill affects. Then I saw and heard of the mayhem and decided I didn't want to become a victim. :no:
I have done it for as long as I've had an automatic, but after hearing about this and doing some research, it looks like I will be changing that.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts