Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have the factory drawings for the reverse lock out and reverse light setup for a ‘71? Mine originally had a 3 speed Saginaw I believe. Don’t quote me on that. I now have a Muncie 4 speed. I’m sure all the linkage was removed when headders were installed. Anyway, I’d like to see exactly how it was so I could decide rather to try and make the column mounted reverse lights work or go with a Muncie reverse light on the trans itself. If I do the switch on the trans, I’d like to make it as factory as possible. I know Hurst makes a switch conversion that I could install, but I’d rather either try and make the lockout linkage work somehow or install the switch on the trans, install the grommet in the firewall and use the extension wiring if I need to. The reverse lights work right now if I let the column lever hang down. I’ve had it tie wrapped up since I’ve had the car so the lights wouldn’t stay on all the time. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks, Matt

·
Registered
198 Posts
40 years ago when I installed headers in my 72 I had to remove the reverse lockout linkage and just spun the section of the steering column manually to turn off the reverse lights and back again to get the key out. Once in a while I’d forget to spin it and drove around with my reverse lights on. Got pulled over a couple of times for it and had cops scratching their heads when I realized why and spun it when they instructed me to change gears, saying they were sure I was driving forward and my reverse lights were on!
In my current 72 the switch is defective so I bypassed it to a toggle switch on the dash to manually turn my reverse lights on and off.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Mike, I didn’t figure the linkage would work with headders installed which is probably why it was removed in the first place, but who knows. Do you know how difficult it may be to fab up a linkage that may work? I’d like to keep it as original as possible unless it’s too much trouble. Then I would just the bracket and switch on the trans and run the wires through a grommet in the firewall.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
check a place called shiftworks.com they might just be able to help you out. they are located in Las Vegas.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
chewy

Look around here : https://www.4speedconversions.com/bu_brkt_kit_2.html

look in their "Nova section" , back awhile ago (a few years back) ...
I wanted to change out to a 4 speed , and wanted to hook-up my
'Reverse - lock -out' & Reverse lights. I searched several sites, this was one ....... I thought I found that linkage , may-be not ( I did search a lot of sites back then, good reading .. anyway.

Do you have a "Factory Assembly Manual" for your year Nova ...... that reverse lock out parts are in there (my 69 FAM , anyway).

I DID fix my reverse light problem ........... THEY WORK Now.
I installed a B/W T-5 5speed ..... to my 250 / I-6 ..... they have a "Reverse Light Switch" mounted in the case.

and, Where in Texas ? ?

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Thanks Twin, I’ll check it out. I’m in College Station.

Thanks, for responding back.
I haven't been back to Texas .. since my Mom passed, 12-13 yrs, but keep saying we'll get back someday. My mother's oldest brother lived in Bryan somewhere. My oldest sister is in the Austin area, older brother lives in FW.

another great "site to look" for Nova Parts is :

http://www.heartbeatcitycamaro.com/store/

it's a Chevy 'Camaro' site .... but list a LOT of GM Assembly Manual part numbers ........ great for cross - checking parts. Also, when I bought from them ( and, I DID return some parts ) , they were good to deal with -- just FYI. (Those parts were ordered by me ... I changed my mind --- My fault , not theirs).

and, Happy Holidays too You , be safe out - there ...... :yes:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Small world huh? Sorry, I woulda got back sooner, but I’ve been working on my car. I’ll check out the other site. Happy holidays to you as well and thanks a lot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts