Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone ever mounted the reverse backup lights in/on the bumper of a 3rd gen Nova?

Why I'm asking?

In Austria it is not legal to have red turn signals, therefore most US cars need to be adapted. turn signals must be yellow or orange!

So there would be 2 solutions:
1) using yellow bulbs for the turn signal with the red lens of the original location of the turn signal would last into orange. But very often than the brightness is bad
2) my preferred solution: using yellow bulbs in the revers backup lens and convert the backup lights into the turn signal lights. this would than require to ass some additional reverse backup lights as this are also mandatory in Austria.

And for this I was thinking to use the backup lights from Ford Pony cars 67-69 and mount it on the bumpers.

As I also plan to have the bumper cut out for exhaust pipes, it could look quit fancy :yes:

Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
186 Posts
How about these? They are from a 1964-1966 Chevy pickup truck and can be sourced on line. Should be able to drill two holes in the bumper and quickly install. They have the period look. I would bet that anyone not a Nova fanatic would assume them to be factory.

Attachments

·
6,502 Posts
I think I came across a picture of your car with the California plates on it and on a back view of it, it looks like each side has a reverse light lens in the middle with a red lens on each side for the turn signal/brake and running lights.
I would look at it and maybe consider just making new left and right lens with whatever tinted/colored plexiglass they need to be and then to keep from seeing the bulb, cut a section of diffuser plastic to break things up.
I did something like this on my 73 Nova Custom and made my own taillight openings but retained the original taillight housings in the trunk. I just made up new lens. I was not worried about having any backup light so I left them off.

The diffuser type of plastic I used:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/23-75-i...c-Lighting-Panel-5-Pack-LP2448ACP-5/202653787

For mine I found an old fixture that donated the plastic for what I needed. Who knows there may be a place that sells smaller amounts.

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts