Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sit tight for a long but worthwhile read!

Ever get a call or text that brings back some memories?

I got one a little over a year ago now. The text was from an unknown number that mentioned a 1966 Nova I sold over 25 years ago….so I call the guy back and it turns out he had just bought my old car – a 66 Nova that I built from basically the ground up and used it as a daily driver during college. When the car was done it was too nice to use as a daily driver, especially to park at a college campus so I sold it and bought a new 97 S10. Ya…dumb move I know! The guy that bought it was from Lake Havasu AZ (who owned a decorative stone quarry around there I believe) in ’96 after he saw it at the Pomona swap meet.

Apparently he had only driven the car a few times after he bought it and since the late 90’s has been sitting in his garage along with 15 or 16 other cars. Unfortunately the guy I originally sold it to passed away so his family reached out to an old family friend of his asking if he was interested in the car. This guy said absolutely but lives in Chicago so he grabbed his truck/trailer and headed to AZ to pick up the car. The Nova still had the vinyl die cut “For Sale” stickers with my parents home number on it so after he got back to Chicago he called the number and talked to my Dad who in turn passed along my contact info. We ended up talking for a while and sounds like the only thing that is different on the car is a cartoon painted on the trunk. Un-fricking-believable!!! The car is 99.9% as I sold it….even the same 26+ yr old tires.

I had tried looking for the car here and there over the years but never put much effort into it. Since it originally went to Havasu I had asked around to all my Havasu friends that are into cars to see if they had seen it or if they ever do to let me know. Turns out nobody ever saw it because it was in the garage the whole time.

The guy that bought it sent me a bunch of pics of the car and it’s like it was the day it left my garage other than the paint needing a nice polish. I told him to keep in touch and to PLEASE give me the first chance if he ever plans on selling it.

Fast forward a little over a year and I get a call from the new owner that he’s ready to sell it. He had tinkered with it over winter, replaced belts/hoses/fluids/etc and was ready to move on to the next project. We struck a deal and made plans to get the car back out to me here in CA. After being out of my hands since ‘96 I can honestly say that the car is basically 99% the way it was when I sold it. She needs a little polishing and some TLC but she’ll be back in action in no time!!

Here’s a pic from one of the NNN West Coast shows around ‘95 before i sold it:
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Car

Picking it up from the transporter in Havasu of all places!
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Land vehicle

And here it is back in the garage waiting to be cleaned up and driven again!!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood

·
Registered
759 Posts
Dang, congratulations on the reunion with your beloved 66. 26 years is a long time for that love affair to last, kinda like that one girlfriend that got away ;).

Any plans for it?

·
Super Moderator
'67 4 door, 65 wagon. WISCONSIN
6,879 Posts
You're incredibly lucky to right a wrong you made all those years ago. Most of us don't get the chance.

I too sold my first Nova to buy a new S-10, but it was a '91. Wish I had that truck now, but I drove it for 20 years, put 170k on it and scrapped it due to rust.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Man that's a great story. I had a friend that found the first new car he purchased and met his wife in. It was an 86 Capri rs turbo. Only difference is he went looking for his. When he got it back he found receipts in it from when he owned it. I love story's like this.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
4,138 Posts
Amazing story and you are very lucky to have had the chance to get your old car back. Ive looked for my first, 79 Firebird, but no luck. Congrats!
Same here. I had an 80 firebird converted nose to 77-78. Sold it for $1500 in 1996. I’d buy it back. Sold it for an 88 s10 to go to college.
It was holding me back.

Don’t let that 66 out of your family’s hands!
You don’t get many second chances in life.
Enjoy!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the positive comments!!

As far as plans for the car - first thing is to clean up some leaks from seals that have been sitting for the most part of the last 24-25 yrs. and after that do some paint polishing - then drive and enjoy the car!! Since the car is basically the same as when I sold it I think I'll leave it alone for the most part. Maybe some small parts and pieces but not much TBH.

The paint is actually code 72 Hugger Orange from a 69 Camaro. At the time I worked at a paint store so was able to get the PPG primer/paint/clear/reducer for cost and then paid $1600 for the bodywork and laying down of the paint. The guy that did it spent way more time than originally planned so when I picked it up I gave him an even $2k which for a broke college kid was a lot at the time. Considering what paint/materials would cost today I feel like I robbed the poor guy!!

As far as joining in 2014 - I think I joined at the time so I could search some of the forums/classifieds to see if there was any sign of my old car. Never posted anything since I didn't have a Nova at the time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Great Story wish a couple of my old cars could find me again, where are you in Chicago im in the south west burbs
Thanks!

I’m in So Cal. The person that I just bought it from was in the Chicago area - Lyons.

It was in a garage in Havasu from when I sold it until about a yr ago so it only spent a short time in IL before coming back out west.

·
Registered
1973 2 door sedan 350 / 350
165 Posts
Congratulations Bud What a Great Story

1 - 20 of 23 Posts