Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 SS
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, I have never installed a car stereo. So I might be overlooking a small detail. I’m having trouble adjusting the shafts so that the chrome knob sits closer to the bezel. Also, if I adjust the shaft further in how will the bezel mount to the dash? I read the instructions and I’m still :confused::confused:

Thanks for any help

========SMOK’UM

Attachments

·
Registered
63 SS convertible 67 SS 4 spd
905 Posts
Are you sure the chrome knob is on correctly? There is a little tab on the inside of the chrome know that must align with the little slot in the brass piece in your picture.

·
Registered
63 SS
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think I just figured it out. I was using the factory nobs. I test fitted the ones that came with the stereo and they fit better. Oooops:D

·
6,591 Posts
The shafts look to be adjusted fine on the depth but the knob looks wrong.

I have a feeling that the knob you have in the picture might be for a radio that only has the one shaft like what was on the right side of some radio's and the knob just spun on the shaft while the front knob rotated the shaft to tune in different stations. The shaft you have pictured has dual shafts on it.

The back knob will have two little notches in the hole that lock into the notches on the brass shaft portion and then the front knob will have a round hole and either a center divider to slide into the shafts slots or a tab in it's hole to lock onto the shafts slot.

Hard to tell in the pictures but some shafts were also made to be pushed in and rotated to do different functions so once you get the right knobs you may have to bring the shaft assembly slightly more out towards the inside of the car. If it's adjusted too shallow the knob may prevent the know from being pushed in enough to adjust a feature on the radio.

Jim

·
Registered
63 SS
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just had all my interior trim rechromed so I thought I would use all of my original stereo nobs. Well, I have to use the new back nobs provided because of what you explained Jim with the shafts. But, I will be able to use the original outer nobs that match the rest of the dash controls.

Thanks for the help

·
6,591 Posts
I just had all my interior trim rechromed so I thought I would use all of my original stereo nobs. Well, I have to use the new back nobs provided because of what you explained Jim with the shafts. But, I will be able to use the original outer nobs that match the rest of the dash controls.

Thanks for the help
No problem.

I began installing car audio in the late 70's and put in thousands of shafted radio's and one thing to add, is there should be a hole or spot on the back of the radio that a back brace get's attached to and then is bent to have the other end of the brace bolted to some structure behind the dash. By doing this the radio will be more solidly mounted and not just supported by the shafts.

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts