Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m getting around to refurbishing the regulators and tracks and all that. I’m curious what advice you guys might have for me? I’ll list some of my questions and concerns below in the hopes maybe you can point me in the right direction. I'll post some other pics of my very intensive build for your enjoyment. Thanks guys.

1 – I see these metal pieces appear to be riveted through the glass. I would like to be able to pull them off, media blast them, replate them, and replace the rubber piece sandwiched between. Is that possible for me to do?

2 – Are you aware of any window regulator shops that will restore all this stuff for you and replate everything?

3 – I’ve bought regulator rebuild kits. It’s just those little plastic round rollers. How in the world do you remove and reinstall them? I see no screws or anything to remove.

4 – I’m planning to media blast and powder coat all the chrome and stainless to gloss black. I see these windows are sandwiched into the tracks with a super thin piece of rubber between them. Given that’s been there for 60 years, how in the world can I get the window out without busting it?

5 – When I go to reinstall the window in the track, do you know what thin rubber sheet to buy to re-sandwich it in place?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Right out of the gate I would grade your parts above good used. They look complete and untampered with - a rarity at this point. This is the stage where people start breaking and loosing parts, not something you want to do with a 2nd gen coupe. I would do as little as possible with them. Some of the little rubber / plastic stops and bumpers cannot be easily replaced properly. Also, you do not want a plater to lose or damage those quarter tracks or metal stops (happens constantly it seems).

The quarter window rollers unscrew with a special tool (widely available) that grabs into the slots of the special retaining nut. You can also make other tools work. The roller studs love to snap, so be careful there. Those roller assemblies are not cheap.

The door regulator rollers are riveted on. The roller design varied some, I am guessing based on manufacturer. The old rivet needs to be ground off or drilled out. The new replacement rivet "peened" back into place. I know some people tack weld them on.

Look online for how-tos on removing / reinstalling auto glass setting tape. It is a very common design. You will need to purchase glass setting tape of the proper width. Widely available online and likely local auto body supply stores.

Also these parts tended to be galvanized or bare metal from GM. Possibly another quick and cheap flash plating was used as well. I have had the stuff zinc plated in the past and it looked good, but probably overkill.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the excellent info. I'm installing power windows by Nu-Relics on all 4 windows, so I gather this means I'll soon have these regulators for sale. For now, I'm hitting everything with a daily shot of PB Blaster in the hopes it all comes apart when I attempt. I've learned in the past that the best way to make sure all your parts come back from the plater is to bind them all together with a big loop of safety wire or thin cable. Practically everything has a hole in it, so as long as it's all held together, you should get it all back. Wish me luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts