Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought this original '63 SS wheel from a board member at Christmas time and gave it to my Dad with a promise to restore it for him. I started by practicing on a truck wheel and it came out pretty nice so I felt good about going ahead with this one. It was in pretty decent shape to begin with, just a few cracks, good chrome and all the parts were there.

I used PC7 epoxy to fill the cracks, 2K urethane high-build primer, and single stage acrylic enamel (marina blue). And of course a little elbow grease and patience.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Very nice work!!! Bet your dad is very happy and proud. JR

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Man, that is beautiful!!

Two questions:

How did you get the perimeter rings back on and nice and tight?

What did you do to the horn ring and cap to restore the shine?

Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
I want a red one just like this :yes:.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Man, that is beautiful!!

Two questions:

What did you do to the horn ring and cap to restore the shine?

Thanks!!
The rings were pretty tight when I took them off, but I had to fill cracks at each of them so I just maintained the fit best I could using them to check. The primer and paint filled in making them a little tighter. To push them in I turned the wheel onto it's face on a towel and gave it a few bumps.

The ring and cap cleaned up really well, no pits or any damage. So I just used a dremel tool with a polishing wheel. Got some polish in my eye, add that to the list of crap you really don't want in your eyes :eek:

Thanks for the compliments guys!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Very nice work!!! Bet your dad is very happy and proud. JR
Very proud of my son, his work and my new wheel!!!! :D The pictures do not give it justice. He is better at this stuff than I could ever hope to be. This weekend, if I can find the time between work and grandkids, I will put it on the car and post pictures of the end product.

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,882 Posts
Where can new perimeter rings be purchased at ? I need some after seeing your work it has inspired to do mine with copper & white or black.
Great looking wheel !!!!!!
Ric

·
Premium Member
1,845 Posts
Nice Job!

Man, that is beautiful!!

Two questions:

1st gen are a different style than 66. They push on and off unlike the 66 which requires bending and prying. They never look the same as factory installed once removed.

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Absolutely beautifull. This will inspire several of us to do ours as well. We can only hope they turn out as nice.

·
Premium Member
3,545 Posts
Wow! That is an amazing job. I think your dad may have some more work comming for you:yes: How are you at grills,and other shiny stuff?:D

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
great job on the wheel. Curious to see how the epoxy holds up. I did my 63 a few years back, grinded the cracks open and used some fiberglass resin to fill them but they have recracked in a few spots.

Again, nice work!:yes:

·
Registered
809 Posts
Ive got my wheel just about ready for paint but know its going to be a job trying to get the coverage,this thing is going to be a job.How to get the rings back on and a nice fit?Open them just enought that you can get them back on the wheel and once in place take a set of channel locks,the jaws covered with tape and squeeze the ring in place,it will retain its shape once closed on the wheel.This is a two person job to watch the paint so it doesnt get scratched.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Ive got my wheel just about ready for paint but know its going to be a job trying to get the coverage,this thing is going to be a job.How to get the rings back on and a nice fit?Open them just enought that you can get them back on the wheel and once in place take a set of channel locks,the jaws covered with tape and squeeze the ring in place,it will retain its shape once closed on the wheel.This is a two person job to watch the paint so it doesnt get scratched.
the first gen ring sgo back on easy, just use some needle nose with tape on them to squeeze them and they will not spring back, mine didn't

1 - 18 of 18 Posts