Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed there 65 Nova 4-speed consoles being reproduced and sold on ebay. Has anyone seen one of these and if so, what did you think of it?

As I continue to look for a 65 SS 4-speed, it's clear that there are more automatics than 4-speeds . . . and I may eventually have to buy one and have it converted to a 4-speed. I'd like to hear someone's opinion on the fit and quality of the reproductions.

I'm somewhat skeptical since the ads say they're for the 65-67 models and I'm pretty sure the 65 had a unique console.

Any experience or feedback would be appreciated.

Mike S.
Tennessee

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
I noticed there 65 Nova 4-speed consoles being reproduced and sold on ebay. Has anyone seen one of these and if so, what did you think of it?

As I continue to look for a 65 SS 4-speed, it's clear that there are more automatics than 4-speeds . . . and I may eventually have to buy one and have it converted to a 4-speed. I'd like to hear someone's opinion on the fit and quality of the reproductions.

I'm somewhat skeptical since the ads say they're for the 65-67 models and I'm pretty sure the 65 had a unique console.

Any experience or feedback would be appreciated.

Mike S.
Tennessee
yep....I think 66-67 are a few inches longer.....Ive seen the 66-67 ones...very nice

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,537 Posts
I have not seen one of the repro consoles but I'd imagine they are nice looking. You are right in the fact that the 1965 console is different. I have been told the major difference is the front part of the console on the '65 is 1" longer (taller) which means the original plastic bottom and top plate is 1" longer. That's the part that has the SS emblem on it and sticks up under the dash. Other than that, I think the rest is pretty much the same. I'm not sure about the new SS emblem as in the pictures, it shows it as detachable while on the original '65 it is riveted on from the back side of the top plate. Looking at the pictures of the repro, it looks like there is a size difference between the two but I can't say as I've not seen a repro. Maybe someone can chime in on that fact.

I have a '65 console that had plastic which was in very bad shape but I have fixed it to look pretty good. I'm now in the process of trying to do a texture prototype similar to the original on the plastic part and am pretty close with that. When I get it as close as possible, I will do my whole plastic in that and then repaint. I'll post photo's when done. In the mean time, I do have some pictures posted to see what all I had to do to repair the plastic. If you're interested, you'll have to search for them as I've lost track of where they are this site.

Found it. http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210478&highlight=4+speed+console

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks . . .

Thanks for the responses. I'll find your thread and check out what you're doing. I may need to do the same thing if I run across a decent used piece that needs a little work . . .

Mike S.
Tennessee

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Yes 65 is different,the repop 66-67 ones are decent for the money I bought one to use in my 67 SS

·
Premium Member
3,154 Posts
65 is a noticeably longer console.

I have a picture of them side by side somewhere....

I don't think there is a 65 repro console out, unless it's quite new.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Unless its a Number matching car ,Why would you care what year consoles you had NOne would ever know

. Later Larry Mc
That's what I was thinking. As long as the repro could be postioned so that the shifter functioned properly, I don't think I would really care that it's length wasn't spot on. Fit and appearance are what I was mostly curious about.

I like the one on ebay, but the repro's are less than half the price. I guessing they are so rare that someone will buy it for that numbers matching car.

Mike S.
Tennessee

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
SEEN ONE ON DISPLAY @ CLASSIC INDUSTRIES, THEY LOOK GOOD AS FAR AS A REPOP GOES!

·
Registered
276 Posts
FWIW the reason if anyone was wondering why they are different it only has to do with increasing clearance for the underdash a/c unit. A problem they had in '65 when doing transmission re/re on a/c cars. That was the solution, to shorten the console for the 66 67 to increase clearance.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Question on console lengths

Sorry to bring up an old thread, but I've read in one thread that the 65 console is longer than the 66/67 console and in this thread it says that it is shorter, to fit the car with the A/C unit. Does anyone know for sure if the 65 console is shorter or longer than the 66/67 console? I'm planning to install a 4-speed console in my 65 and since I have the factory A/C, I don't want to buy a 66/67 console if it is too long.

Thanks,

M.Smith
Tennessee

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
The top part of the console is longer on the '65 console. You'll have no problem using the '66-'67 console in your '65.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts