Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have any opinions on reproduction bumpers vs. straightened and rechromed originals?

·
Registered
879 Posts
I bought front and rear bumpers from Nightshade. I was in the same quandry as you were...I wanted to keep the originals and have them re-chromed then I priced the repop bumpers and it was so much cheaper to buy the repops then to have all that work done to the oem's. It also comes down to what your plans are with the car...if you are going to do a full on restore then I say have the originals re-chromed...or if you are going to do a street cruiser/strip car like I am..it will be a lot cheaper to buy the repops.

I had my bumper brackets sandblasted and then I had spraypainted them black so they look almost new. Either way you go make sure you use new bumper bolts....mine looked good on the old bumpers but looked like crap on the new ones.

-John

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I bought reproduction for my 68. I have the same opinion as adidasink, my isn't a 100% restoration and the reproduction looked great. The price was less than half of restoring my old ones. I wound up selling my old bumpers that were Ok for about the cost of one of the new ones.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
I have a couple sets of them up here in St.Joe one set for my car and a few to......(self edit).....:rolleyes:

If you want to see for yourself come on up! Ya might end up bringing a set home with you!;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Have reproduction units and was happy with them. I purchased mine 3yrs ago before I knew about a locial supplier (see above) or I would have gotten them for him. Cheers!

·
Premium Member
3,341 Posts
I bought some reproduction bumpers from Tamraz's on Ebay, that I have been happy with. They were the cheapest, that I've found. :)

·
Premium Member
9,228 Posts
This has been discussed many times on this board. The repop bumpers are made in China and are a thinner material, many don't fit correctly, and the chrome is not high quality. A local muscle car parts supplier here in Seattle finally quit selling them because the quality was so poor that many people returned them. If you want the best quality, have OEM bumpers stripped, straightened, and rechromed. If it's a daily driver and you aren't too picky then repops will probably do you fine.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...what I think is poor quality might look great to someone else...just like a paint job.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Seattle_Mike said:
This has been discussed many times on this board. The repop bumpers are made in China and are a thinner material, many don't fit correctly, and the chrome is not high quality. A local muscle car parts supplier here in Seattle finally quit selling them because the quality was so poor that many people returned them. If you want the best quality, have OEM bumpers stripped, straightened, and rechromed. If it's a daily driver and you aren't too picky then repops will probably do you fine.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...what I think is poor quality might look great to someone else...just like a paint job.
Funny you should say this. Just 2 weeks ago I was delivering to a prominent member who has 2 third gens. One a true Yenko and the other a "plain" 2 door.

The Yenko had a big $$$ NOS bumpers and the "Plain Jane" had a Reproduction front and was getting a Reproduction rear delivered (yes by me).

Both NOS and Reproductions were compared and unanimously it was agreed that the Reproductions were of much better quality then the NOS But I understand that some are just dead set against reproduction parts wether or not the quality is good.

Yes they are a little thinner but you practically need a caliper to see it.

So like I mentioned above. If you want to see them in person and make your own decision as to the quality before you spend your $$$ on them come up and take a look.

And as Mike said above, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Don't listen to us, you need to decide for yourself.

·
Registered
689 Posts
65 rear repo

I have a repo 65 bumper from J&W and it fit well and looks good. It is a lot cheaper than an original rechromed unless you want a pure stock restoration.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
As was stated earlier, if I were doing a restoration on a limited addition Nova, I would spend the extra $$ on the originals. I am doing that on a 65SS that I am currently working on. I am also a dealer for Goodmark, and think that their bumpers are pretty nice. I used/use them on my 65 coupe that I drive most every day. I agree with Seattle Mike in that I can tell they are thinner, but not too bad. But, I haven't had a problem with any of the fitment on them, and I've sold quite a few.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I think I would go with the repro bumpers. What happens if you spend big bucks and some person talking on a cell phone hits ya. Its a lot cheaper to replace the repro.

·
Premium Member
622 Posts
I try to avoid repro anything when I can but I gave in and bought a front bumper from modern performance for the 65 and I gotta admit it's not bad at all. I'm happy with the fit and finish and unless there's an original right next to it, I really can't tell the difference between them.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
From my experiences there are better and worse quality after market parts. I bought a set of bumpers for a 67 Camaro I restored and they were poor quality. Several friends have bought bumpers that were much better quality. I think you have to look at the part and decide for yourself. The same seems to be true for sheet metal. I used a aftermarket cowl hood on this Camaro and it fit OK for less than 1/2 the cost of a GM hood. I also restored a 74 SB 454 P/U and used aftermarket sheet metal which was just terrible. The front fenders and tail gate required extensive rework before they even got close to fitting. JMHO, RM

1 - 16 of 16 Posts