Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 66 coupe was redone 3-4 yrs ago so no rusted or old stuff to deal with.Going to replace my New HD stiffies with Morosos(friend has 67 rides nice with these)My HDs couldnt compress with 10 fat chics on my hood!!In any case this suspension is totally new for me had my 69 for 18yrs simple stuff.But springs on top of upper a=frames ?Well got a compressor, have done springs before.Is there any thing special I should know or do to make it easyer? Can't I,unbolt shock, compress spring unbolt bottom thingy and slide out?must I use a lift,or could I jack it from the frame?Will I need to unbolt ball joint or spindle to drop arm lower.I have a nice little spring compressor that might even fit inside the spring.U guys who have done this on early novas speak up HELP,I don't have the energy if it turns to a nitemare:(:(Bad enough my life savings went to buying a UPS :mad:UPs store:mad::mad::mad:anyone want to buy a slighty used UPS store in NY:D Only thing left that makes me happy is cruzin in my 66 with my 10mth old grandson in the car seat next to me,He luvs the sound of 3inch flowmasters,its his car now.......can see it now:sleep:,this is a shift lite,can u say Cal-tracs,not goo goo, C-A-L TRACS,thats rite,cal-tracs.............OH,what wre we talkin about oh yea,FRT Springs anyone help please....

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean by "unbolt bottom thingy". Anyway, I have had mine in and out several times and it's not too bad. The compressers I used are the external kind but with good hooks. I jack up the front of the car by the crossmember and support it, letting the suspension drop. Pull the shock and tower like you said. One thing I like to do for safety is after pulling the shock/tower, I drop a length of 1/2" all thread down through the spring and into one of the perch holes-double nutting it. Leave about 6-8" above the inner fender. This way, if a compressor slipped off or something while compressing, the spring could not fly out and hurt you severely. Once I have the spring compressed, I chain it, fastening together by a bolt, nut, and washers, before I pull the rod and work the spring out by the top. Work carefully and smart, and it's not a big deal. Make sure the spring is compressed adequately so that you don't have to fight it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure what you mean by "unbolt bottom thingy". Anyway, I have had mine in and out several times and it's not too bad. The compressers I used are the external kind but with good hooks. I jack up the front of the car by the crossmember and support it, letting the suspension drop. Pull the shock and tower like you said. One thing I like to do for safety is after pulling the shock/tower, I drop a length of 1/2" all thread down through the spring and into one of the perch holes-double nutting it. Leave about 6-8" above the inner fender. This way, if a compressor slipped off or something while compressing, the spring could not fly out and hurt you severely. Once I have the spring compressed, I chain it, fastening together by a bolt, nut, and washers, before I pull the rod and work the spring out by the top. Work carefully and smart, and it's not a big deal. Make sure the spring is compressed adequately so that you don't have to fight it.
The thingy is that part that secures the bottom of the spring to the upper a frame.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The thingy is that part that secures the bottom of the spring to the upper a frame.
You do not need to remove the spring perch on the upper arm to remove/install the springs. The springs are essentially held in place by their stored energy. Once you compress them, there is nothing to prevent you from just pulling them out. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts