Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replacing springs

I've got a 72 & I'm taking out my 2" hotchkis lowering springs & putting stock BB springs in.

I've got everything off down to the spindle and the castle nut off the lower ball joint (supported by a jack) but the spindle wont come off. I've given it a bunch of good whacks with a hammer trying to shake it loose but it wont come off. I think the problem is that the lowered springs are fairly relaxed & wont push the lower ball joint off the spindle. I've even had both castle nuts off and neither will break loose off the spindle.

If I have to I'll use a pickle fork but I dont want to mangle up my ball joint boots.

Any other way you can think of?

Thanks,
-Phil

·
Premium Member
3,563 Posts
Make your own tool with $3 worth of hardware. This is how I've done it in the past, and it works great. No swearing, no bloody knuckles. :yes:

Materials needed:
two .75” bolts
one .75” coarse thread, all-thread coupler

Drill or mill the center of the bolt heads so they don't slip off the ball joint studs:

Tah-dah! Easy as it can be:

Be sure to loosen the castle nuts, but LEAVE THEM ON! If you don't, the spring will go flying once you release the tension.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Make your own tool with $3 worth of hardware. This is how I've done it in the past, and it works great. No swearing, no bloody knuckles. :yes:

Materials needed:
two .75” bolts
one .75” coarse thread, all-thread coupler

Drill or mill the center of the bolt heads so they don't slip off the ball joint studs:

Tah-dah! Easy as it can be:

Be sure to loosen the castle nuts, but LEAVE THEM ON! If you don't, the spring will go flying once you release the tension.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a ton.

-Phil

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Paul72

BTW:

I made mine out of 3/4 threaded rod, 2 nuts and the coupler - cost $10 at lowes. Welded the nuts to the rod to make a cup shape.

Took me 2 minutes to break it loose.

Once again, thanks!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts