Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to buy replacement leaf springs for my 1975 Nova. It has the originals on it now which are 6 leaf. Classic Industries has replacements but they don't have 6 leaf, they do have 5 leaf replacements. Will it matter if I put 5 leaf springs instead of 6 leaf springs? I want the original ride height. JC Whitney does have 6 Leaf Replacement springs for my year Nova, they are John R. Spring brand, has anyone ever heard of these? Does anyone have any suggestions on what brand of springs I should go with, I'm willing to pay a little more for something of good quality. Thanks for the help.

·
Super Moderator
12,005 Posts
I tried 3 sets of springs before i had some that gave the proper ride height. The RL5 form Classic Industries will give the suspension a 2" lift over stock. After 3000 miles they were still nearly 2" too high. The 2" lowering springs were too low.
I ended up using SUM-7081GM from Summit Racing. There are probably others that will give the proper ride height, these worked for me. IMO the replacement 5 leaf springs are too stiff, mine are only 4.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
On my '72

I replaced my single leafs with John R 3 leaf and they are working well, fit as advertised and rides well. I got mine from Autowarehouse, which is probably owned by Whitney, and got cheap, or maybe it was free, shipping. I replaced the bushings that came with my springs with urethane to match the rest of the car, but that was no big deal, but I have a press.

The number of leafs isn't all that important except how the spring fits in the mount on the diff. That's the big deal, and be sure to replace the pads that go in there.

·
Registered
295 Posts
My car had 5leafs on the car and it had a good ride height. So when I replaced mine I went with the 5 leaf because I wanted to stuff as much meat under it as i could. Well now it looks like I built a Gasser. The rear bumper is higher then my pickup's. She only has one mile on her so far but if she does not lay down some I may be replacing or pulling a leaf out.
As to your question, you can get a 5 leaf instead of the 6 and if your bracket on the rear is to deep. You can cut the center section out of your old spring, the length of your bracket and use it as a spacer. The studs/bolts that go through your new springs a pretty long and will go through the hole on the section of your old spring that was cut out. And that will hold it in place and keep it from moving.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts