Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed that when I ride in the passenger seat of my 69 with a bench seat that I sit higher than when I am in the drivers seat. I assume its because the springs are worn more on the drivers side. Is there anyone that sells a new replacement bottom bench seat spring assembly? All I have been able to find are the bucket seat spring assemblies and lots of replacement bench seat covers and foam. I have read through lots of old threads here and read that extra springs along with extra, more firm foam, can be added to stiffen up the area that has become weak. Where do you find new springs to add?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have noticed that when I ride in the passenger seat of my 69 with a bench seat that I sit higher than when I am in the drivers seat. I assume its because the springs are worn more on the drivers side. Is there anyone that sells a new replacement bottom bench seat spring assembly? All I have been able to find are the bucket seat spring assemblies and lots of replacement bench seat covers and foam. I have read through lots of old threads here and read that extra springs along with extra, more firm foam, can be added to stiffen up the area that has become weak. Where do you find new springs to add?
Anyone?

·
Registered
95 Posts
When I redid my bench for my 66 I had to repair a lot of broken springs. What I ended up doing was buying a new bottom bucket seat spring and cutting new springs out of it to repair the broken ones. Used small hog rings and ty wraps to fasten the together or you could weld them. I also found some bulk springs online from upholstery supply houses, which you could also use. Check your local upholstery shop also. Another idea is go to the junk yard and buy another old bench seat and use the springs.

·
Registered
4,649 Posts
and, then . . . . . . I bought a basicly new (rebuilt) front bench seat . Why - -- - - - because , the SNS member had re-done his seat = = He's like 6' - 6" = = and, after . . . .
he would sit Tooo high , and hit the head-liner . Just FYI , he later went with some 'Camaro bucket seats' . . . . . to make them sit lower in his 69 Nova.
So, I'd ask - - - How Tall R you ? . . . . see what I mean . Very good idea , too look around @ pick & pull , for extra seat springs . . . . and, look at the pass - side springs.
Pass side is less used and, a good call , then u'r good-to-go . . . . . . . . . . . . jim

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
As stated above, find an auto upholstery supply shop in your area and buy the new spring material if yours are broken.. Sometimes the springs aren’t actually broken but the wraps have loosened or failed.. This allows the springs to compress more. Therefore, you sit lower.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool. I will check with an upholstery shop in town once I have opened up the seat cover to see what I am working with. Thanks to all for the pics and info

1 - 8 of 8 Posts