Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my car has seen better days, im going to be tearing it down this winder and doing most of the body work on it. I am having a bit of a dilimma on what to do about a few pieces.

on my cowl the outer part is good, but the vents are all rusted and pitted. For this, would it make more sense to just get a new cowlvent, and replace, or should i try fixing this? it seems like a lot of work compared to just putting on a new cowl vent.

my inner fenders and radiator support has rust, i'm thinking about just replacing these because it would take a lot of hours for me to fix them to look new, at the same time i have fenders that have a lot of bondo and rusted hols behind the front wheels.

Im not to worried about fitting the inner fender, and the radiator support since if they are not perfect you dont really see the imperfections, however I am worried about what to do regarding the fenders. Are the repro fenders any good? My fenders feel sold, but they have a lot of pitting that was hidden by bondo. the metal is thick so they are not weak anywhere other than some fist sized holes behind the front wheel. I'm also worried that the metal of the fender will be thinner than the aftermarket so it would require shimming to get things to line up right. Would you just fix the fender and glaze over it to get it smooth, or would it make more sense to just replace it.

I'll post up some picks of the damage shortly.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
See attached my that bucket.

The PO hacked up the lower quarters so I'll be working on those pretty soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
Winter, Spring, Summer Project

The cowl suffers from some strange rust. Cleaning up that rust will likely result in some large holes. Welding in some old, non-galvanized automotive sheet metal to fill those holes would be a good place to start testing your welding skills.

I suggest you acquire a quality MIG welder, that can be turned down to Low Amps to avoid burning holes in your car's old metal.

Welding old, rusty, thin metal is a challenge. After the cowl, I suggest you try to use "patch panels" for another small repair like a fender or door.
If that works out, then the quarter panels will be your next challenge., followed by paint

This job will presents many tests. There is a lot of experience to be gained..
We all wish you good fortune and good help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts