Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To make a long story short, I purchased a 74 Nova Hatchback with a 383 stroker motor, 144 Wieand Blower with a 350 turbo trans. The car was already very much lowered all around. The front has dropped spindles and the adjustment collars on the coilovers are tightened all the way to the top. Although the front did not have much clearance it was not a problem until an LSA 6.2 Liter SC crate motor and a TCI 6X Auto Trans was put in; this has added enough weight to lower the car even more.

It is obvious that the correct spring rate on the old coilovers were too soft to bring the front up to compensate the whole drop with the drop spindles added.

I need to bring the front of the car up 1 1/4 inches to have it where it was before the motor/trans change. The whole car was weighed and the front comes in at 1920 lbs.

I have 3 questions:

1. I have been looking at coilovers from Aldan American, Vicking and QA1.
Has anyone used any of these and if so, your input. I am wide open to any
other names.

2. In one of the above 3, it stated the coilover spring collars can be adjusted
up to give a 2" lift. Has anyone used their's to do the same?

3. I did find a Tech at one of the above that did confirm raising the car up
with less turns of the spring collars: Go the next spring rate up
from the actual spring rate recommended on the measured front weight.
Has anyone done this?

Appreciate all the input on this

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
As No One Responded, Solution Posted

As no one postrd, I went ahead and did what my prior research and decision on the spring rate using the 2" dropped spindles already in place on my 74 Nova. There are many manufacturers for coil-overs but very few for raising (not to just stiffen) the car for the ground clearance needed of at least 1 1/4". New after market Upper and Lower Control arms were done in tandem.
I settled with Viking Warriors in light of the calls to their tech department who were patient and very willing to listen, making a sound recommendation on the front weight of the car, my low ground clearance and drop spindles for "spring rate". Happy with the outcome.
When the old coil-overs were removed, the prior owner of the car did not have the "front" weight. It was guessed and the "spring rate" was way under.

Maybe this may help others in some way when it comes to Coil-overs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Don't buy Viking shocks!! If you have any interference, they want you to cut up your car to make them fit. Also, if you pay a lot of money and the parts don't fit right, Viking will look for any and every Excuse to not refund your money! And their boss Chris is an AssHat!! QA1 Coil Overs are way Better!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No Vendor Is 100 Percent

Don't buy Viking shocks!! If you have any interference, they want you to cut up your car to make them fit. Also, if you pay a lot of money and the parts don't fit right, Viking will look for any and every Excuse to not refund your money! And their boss Chris is an AssHat!! QA1 Coil Overs are way Better!!!
My experience was excellent and the setup had no glitches. My assembly did not call for any modification to have it work, thus our experiences are comparing apples and oranges. Very few of us hit home runs in everything for we "do it your selfers" and requires at times to step back, dig, search, and make every effort to find someone who has already done what you are about to do.

I based my choice on extensive research with local shops that specialized in suspension, car friends, references, internet searches and performance shops. Viking was referenced for quality. I take nothing away from QA1 as they definitely have a following as being a Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, etc. car person.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
My experience was excellent and the setup had no glitches. My assembly did not call for any modification to have it work, thus our experiences are comparing apples and oranges. Very few of us hit home runs in everything for we "do it your selfers" and requires at times to step back, dig, search, and make every effort to find someone who has already done what you are about to do.

I based my choice on extensive research with local shops that specialized in suspension, car friends, references, internet searches and performance shops. Viking was referenced for quality. I take nothing away from QA1 as they definitely have a following as being a Ford, Chevy, Chrysler, etc. car person.
For what it's worth, I have Viking coil-overs on my '69, with tubular upper and lower control arms from Church Boys Racing. I'm very happy with the shocks, and they've been in the car for about four years now, with several thousand miles of driving in various conditions. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Gerry

1 - 5 of 5 Posts