Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to start the bodywork on my rig and was going to start with the trim. Lot of dents...

Can anyone tell me is that original trim aluminum or stainless? Anodized?
Anyone have any good links or videos on how to straighten things out and restore? I don't care if it's original looking in the end, just want it straightened up and refinished.

·
13,999 Posts
Most of the 1st generation trim is anodized aluminum. One exception is the reveal trim at the top of the doors where they meet the windows. This is stainless steel. Some of the Canadian cars also have some chromed pot metal
pieces IE: tail light bezels, Acadian grills, etc.

This might also help. The link below is to the GM Heritage Center 1966 Chevy II Information kit. If you go to the General Section page 4 there is a list of all the various trim pieces, type of metal and the finish. There is information like this for all Chevy IIs, including the first generation cars.

https://www.gmheritagecenter.com/do...information-kits/Nova/1966-Chevrolet-Nova.pdf

Bob

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
I redid all the original trim on my 63 SS. 1.I had these guys strip all the trim: Electro-Chem 4849 SE 26th Ave. Portland, OR 97202. I had like 12 pieces and all was under $50. 2. I started working on all the dents, pimples and dimples. 3. Sanding from a fine file to 100 to 2400 sandpaper. 4. Lathe polishing with three grade of polishing compounds and cloth wheels. 5. Final primer and single stage two part paint. The winter months is the best time to do all that kind of work so you can have it all ready for the spring. Polished aluminum will keep a couple of years on a garaged car and every other year I use Mother's alum.polish to bring back the luster. Yes, lots of work to finish all the trim pieces, but well worth the time and effort.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts