Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 67 Acadian Canso sport deluxe with a 283 and 2 speed power glide. Is it possible to drop the transmission with out the motor? I have removed everything from the transmission but cannot get the top two bolts on the bell housing for the life of me. Even if I do get them out I’m certain I won’t be able to get them back in as I cannot get my hand anywhere near them! Does any one have any tips or or expierence with this?
TIA!

·
Super Moderator
4,019 Posts
Definitely! Any number of Chilton's or factory ChevyII shop manuals will give you the procedure step by step. Driveshaft has to come out, transmission crossmember bolts removed, cooling lines disconnected. It can be a messy job. Don't forget to plug the rear of the transmission with an old yoke that fits or the correct plug, and know that the torque converter will be a real mess coming out with fluid leaks. Don't need to remove the engine, but as you lower the trans after the cross member is out, you will have to support the rear of the engine on blocks or with a short jack so that it doesn't just have all the weight supported by the motor mounts.

The last one I did I did on a big piece of linoleum scrap. Easy clean up of all the oil and it saved the garage floor.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have removed the cross member, cooler lines speedo and all the linkage, it is the top two bell housing bolts I am having issues with. I am going to have to remove the distributor just to get a wrench on them.

·
Premium Member
2,024 Posts
Drop the rear down as much as possible and then get about 3 feet of extensions and an impact swivel with 9/16 socket. You can snake it up there and get them.

·
Premium Member
2,836 Posts
Unbolt the torque converter from the flywheel and leave it in the trans when you remove it or you will have a BIG mess on your hands!!!

·
Registered
208 Posts
You might try removing the distributor cap & plug wires first & see if that gives you enough room to remove those from the top. If not pull the distributor.

·
Premium Member
3,556 Posts
If you have not dropped the tranny out yet, block the bottom of your oil pan to take some stress off of your rad hoses, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts