Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 1975 and older, is there any reason to keep the pump if you don't care about originality and just want less weight and more power? What are the reasons to keep it?

·
Premium Member
3,815 Posts
I took the smog equipment off my 68 just to clean up the looks under the hood.

I can't tell any difference in the power - but that may be because its a 250 inline 6.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
May just depend on your County regs . Then, there should / could be a "smog required" cut - off - date ?

Here, in our 'County = Yavapai County , Arizona = No Smog Checks , so yes remove - it ; but in
Phoenix area - Maricopa County - "they still have - Smog Checks" - - (I do NOT know what the 'cut-off years are - here in AZ) .
My 69 Nova = has NO Smog equip. = 250 / I-6 , (factory p/g trans) = now 5speed trans .
As I understand . . . . . . if my car had a factory standard trans . . . . . it would have had a smog pump .

ps . - If you remove your smog equipment . . . . . I box-it-up and hold on too it ;
If ever needed --- you'd never find any "stuff" too fit later on . just thinking out loud .

·
Super Moderator
3,833 Posts
Congratulations! Your '75 Omega just made the cutoff in CA, as cars that are '75 and earlier don't need to be smog inspected or checked anymore. You can remove the smog equipment. As everyone knows, all the smog equipment working correctly on that vehicle does reduce the emissions, but saps power and adds weight, so most guys can all of the smog stuff. Back in the day, when guys canned their smog stuff but found out that their cars were still subject to inspection, junkyard or swap meet sales of smog equipment were hot and some guys paid big money so they could put the equipment on their car for the test, pass, then take it off again. In fact, I knew a guy with a '73 350 SBC that was installed into a few different cars just for that purpose; it was kind of a mule engine put in hot rodded '70's cars so they could pass smog for a day, then sit on the engine stand for another year or two until the next test.

·
Super Moderator
3,833 Posts
Also, Jim makes a good suggestion. Save all of the smog parts for someone who wants a correct restoration, or wants the parts, if you have a place for long term storage. Guarantee that if you throw it away, you could not find it again.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking it will cost me coin for new exhaust and intake for little difference in overall performance so will hold off for now. It's working well and the truth is I don't expect much power out of this setup. On the other hand there is this part of me wants this engine to break so I can drop a 350 in it (separate thread).

·
Premium Member
1967 Chevy II nova Hardtop
3,893 Posts
I suspect there are some of you out there reading this thinking "How could you remove the smog equipment??!!"
FWIW in the early days of pollution equipped cars the manufacturers were doing their best to satisfy the government and either didn't know how or didn't see the need. For me, every time I had a problem car at the emission station I would remove everything, go full aftermarket, and pass with flying colors. I love Hotrods but I also feel if I can make a clean running car I will. Today manufacturers see the parallel between efficiency, power and cleanliness much better...... except maybe this one European group but that's a story for another time.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If I remove the belt will it effect the function of the engine?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts