Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The chrome on my old bumpers has tiny rust spots like little lines or cracks in the chrome. Is there something I can remove these marks with, like a rust remover? I know the rust will come back but it would be nice to clean it for a temporary fix.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
3,257 Posts
I have had good results with 0000 steel wool pads from the hardware store. It won't scratch the good chrome but will get after the rust. You can even use them with a little WD40 and it works well.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
I have used rust removers. I personally like Must for Rust. It neutralizes the rust, converts it and helps to seal it up. Then just clean the bumper as normal.

And the steel wool works great too. Wax yer bumper to help seal up the invisible pin points afterwards. JR

·
Registered
309 Posts
believe it or not wadded up aluminum foil and soapy water will get rid of it before any derogatory comments are made try it, it works

·
Registered
309 Posts
also have you ever tried to scratch chrome, thats some hard stuff the reason things scratch is because rhe object scratching is harder than the object scratched (it's why diamonds scratch glass but razor blades won't)

·
Registered
53 Posts
also have you ever tried to scratch chrome, thats some hard stuff the reason things scratch is because rhe object scratching is harder than the object scratched (it's why diamonds scratch glass but razor blades won't)
razor blades will scratch glass! catch a corner on a rouned piece of glass and see what i mean!!!

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
You have the right idea but razor blade will ruin glass. An inexperienced tint man will cut your glass with the razor as he is trimming the tint film. How do I know?? I was an inexperienced tinter LOL My own car. Not good. JR

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
I used razor blades to take off the over sprays on my windows :confused:

·
Registered
418 Posts
I agree with the simple use of 0000 steel wool. I have used it after Winter storage to get the bumpers all shiny and "pretty" again. The stuff works wonders....even removes bugs and junk from windows without scratching. I use it on the door handles, the side mirror and the chrome all around the windows for a nice, clean appearance. I have about 5 packs of the stuff and it's GREAT...........Try it !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts