Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to remove the rear window, I found one thread about this but am confused still. The thread talked about just cutting the seal (how I removed my front window) but then it also talks about clips, possibly some of them screwed in. That is the part confusing me. Can I cut the gasket and remove it like I did the front window or do I somehow have to unscrew these clips? If so, how do I get to these clips? The manual doesn't mention these clips at all when removing the glass. Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
546 Posts
the clips that hold the window trim are screwed or clipped onto the body, nothing else; therefore you do not need remove them to remove the window gasket and window.

basically, remove the molding before removing the window gasket/window, but leave the clips alone.

with a hooked tool you can slide in a rope (clothesline thickness) to go from inside to out, then slide it around the perimeter to release the gasket from the pinch weld.

-Rusty

·
Registered
978 Posts
The rear windshield on your 64 4-door sedan has stainless trim that is installed into the rubber seal the same way the front windshield is. There are no clips on sedans, only on hardtops.

·
Registered
546 Posts
oof! yeah, forgot to check what car it was. my apologies to Krash.

Moderator: can you delete my earlier post (and this one, also) to avoid confusion for those that search this? much appreciated.

-Rusty

·
Registered
58 Posts
Yes there are no clips on a 64, as far as sliding a rope around the glass I would recommend cutting the gasket with a sharp thin knife (floor layers razor blade) as that old gasket will be super hard and there would be a good chance of breaking the glass.

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I spent quite a while yesterday cutting the gasket inside the car and then started on the outside of the car. Still trying to get most of the putty they used out from under the gasket. Didn't get a chance to work on it today, hopefully will finish getting it out tomorrow. Then the last thing I need to remove is the light switch out of the dash. That is another nightmare.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts