Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Whats the best way to remove paint from plastic without ruining it??

Repainting is ok, just a crappy job by someone else and I want to go back to the original color vs black without lots of buildup.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I've been told there are paint removers that will do this, but must be washed immediately. I don't want to risk damaging my console to find out though, the other option I may try is soda blasting. I'm not sure there are many options short of replacement though.:(

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just on the phone with Phillip, he said acitone will take the paint off quickly, but not to let it sit on the plastic for very long. I'll give it a try and let you know.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Yes, it will attack different plastics at different rates of speed, try it on the back to see how much time you'll have before it reacts.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Soak the plastic part in brake fluid or use Easy Off lemon scent. Both will not attack the plastic. I used these methods back when I was a kid to remove paint from model cars. If you decide on the brake fluid method, whatever you want stripped has to be submerged over night. Paint will come right off!! Try it out on a piece of plastic and see.

·
Registered
42 Posts
First thing you need to do is get all the years of paint, wax and armor off of them. Use laquer thiner for the paint. WILL NOT EAT PLASTIC. use Enammel Reducer for just wax.

Wipe the whole thing down, about 2-3 times, with enamel reducer.

Then sand with a scotch bright pad.(medium coarse).

Wipe it down again after sanding, 2 times.

I then used a flexible plastic primer on mine. Start with very light coats. It the primer has a "fish eye" look to it, stop and sand the area again and wipe it clean. Fish eye look= still wax on the plastic.
Give them 3-4 good coats.

Sand again to remove any dirt or dust particles.

Wipe clean again with Enamel Reducer.

Paint. I used black spray bomb on mine, turned out great.
Hope this helps

·
Registered
162 Posts
Easy off oven cleaner worked for me......let it soak for 5 to 10 minutes and rinse off with water

·
Premium Member
6,582 Posts
Ask John to send you a picture of his face the paint will fall off in disgust.

PS. not sure if the plastic can stand up to that torture though......

·
Premium Member
3,554 Posts
Soak the plastic part in brake fluid or use Easy Off lemon scent. Both will not attack the plastic. I used these methods back when I was a kid to remove paint from model cars. If you decide on the brake fluid method, whatever you want stripped has to be submerged over night. Paint will come right off!! Try it out on a piece of plastic and see.

There are some plastic paint strippers available at hobby shops, but I found brake fluid works the best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts