Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the trick to getting the front bushing out on the leaf springs, the car is a 73. And how do the metal retainers come out?

·
Registered
2,555 Posts
You can try my way. Get a pipe nipple that is the same diameter as the spring eye and a pipe cap. Drill a hole in the pipe cap for 1/2" threaded rod. Stick the rod through the pipe cap and nipple and through the spring bushing. Use a big flat washer on the other side and double nut it so it cant move. Put a nut on the threaded rod outside the pipe cap. Tighten this nut and see if your assembly pulls the spring bushing into the nipple.

·
Registered
315 Posts
You could try a couple large flat blace screwdrivers, tap them in under the spring eye wrap to spread it open enough to pull some of the tension out of the bushing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I used a two three jaw puller on mine. I put a bolt in the middle to push on. I also wedged a screwdriver in to open up the eye just a hair. I went to solid bushings and after fighting them for a while I broke down and took them in to get pressed.

·
Registered
1,433 Posts
^^^^^ this....

You can also take a drill with a 3/8 or larger bit, and drill the rubber out in several places, the bushing will literally fall out....

T,
Same here just drilled several holes around it and it pretty much just fell out....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts